AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have an issue I was hoping to get some feedback on. When I had my D* install done, we had a TV downstairs and a TV upstairs. My house is prewired coax with a central box in one of the bedroom closets, upstairs. So that the install guy did was run one cable from the sat into the house, directly to the TV that was on the same wall the cable came in from outside (he actually just took the wall plate off drilled a until it went clear through to outside and feed the sat cables in). The second cable off the sat is connect into the coax cable that was meant to come to that room from the central box, at which point he joined the cable that came into the box from down stairs to the one that goes to the second room. So that means he more or less basically connected the two prewired coax cables with the cable coming off the sat and by-passed all the splitting/other rooms capability. So now, I want to move that box from downstairs to another room upstairs but only have the one source cable coming upstairs, the one that is joined with the prewired coax that was meant to bring a signal down from the central box. The logical idea would be to split that source cable in the central box into two, one for what WAS connected to that source cable coming into the central box, and the second output off the splitter to the second room upstairs. I have tried this and can't get a strong enough signal to run both boxes (the original one upstairs and the one from downstairs but now upstairs). If I only have one output plugged into the splitter it works fine on the one box that is connected, but as soon as I physically connect the second coax to the splitter output, the signal levels seems to drop too much and the receiver continues to "search for a signal."

So, that was long, but I wanted to explain the whole situation. Now does anyone have a suggestion to make this work? Do I need a different, special (powered?) splitter?

Thanks in advance.

nick

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Sounds like you had a half-ass pre-wire and D* install job done at your location. I'm wondering where this D* guy grounded your system at. Did you use a local installer or did you contact D* through the "800" number?

Usually, pre-wire installs have dedicated cable runs from every outlet back to a central distribution location. If the wire jumps from room to room with splitters at each outlet, you'll need to run a new cable, from where you want the TV to your distribution center or where the SAT cable enters the house.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by afscotch /forum/post/18305876

Hello,

I have an issue I was hoping to get some feedback on. When I had my D* install done, we had a TV downstairs and a TV upstairs. My house is prewired coax with a central box in one of the bedroom closets, upstairs. So that the install guy did was run one cable from the sat into the house, directly to the TV that was on the same wall the cable came in from outside (he actually just took the wall plate off drilled a until it went clear through to outside and feed the sat cables in). The second cable off the sat is connect into the coax cable that was meant to come to that room from the central box, at which point he joined the cable that came into the box from down stairs to the one that goes to the second room. So that means he more or less basically connected the two prewired coax cables with the cable coming off the sat and by-passed all the splitting/other rooms capability. So now, I want to move that box from downstairs to another room upstairs but only have the one source cable coming upstairs, the one that is joined with the prewired coax that was meant to bring a signal down from the central box. The logical idea would be to split that source cable in the central box into two, one for what WAS connected to that source cable coming into the central box, and the second output off the splitter to the second room upstairs. I have tried this and can't get a strong enough signal to run both boxes (the original one upstairs and the one from downstairs but now upstairs). If I only have one output plugged into the splitter it works fine on the one box that is connected, but as soon as I physically connect the second coax to the splitter output, the signal levels seems to drop too much and the receiver continues to "search for a signal."

So, that was long, but I wanted to explain the whole situation. Now does anyone have a suggestion to make this work? Do I need a different, special (powered?) splitter?

Thanks in advance.

nick

Are you talking about Directv or digital TV from a cable company?

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
On these forums, "DTV" usually means over-the-air digital TV. For DirecTV, people here customarily use "D*" in analogy with "E*" for Dish (Echostar).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
DirecTV. If I was using cable I don't think I would have a problem because cable TV would use the "cable in" into the house that goes into the distro center in the spare room, the way it was designed. Once in the disto center it would be feed into a splitter and thus to all the rooms in the house. All the rooms are wired from the respective room to the distro center.

The DirecTV satellite is mounted on the other side of the house from this "cable in" point and the installer, set from the "800" number, used the prewire that was suppose to connect that room FROM the distro center, but is now GOING TO the distro center. The second TV was at the same outlet in the downstairs room so that is connect direct to the satellite.

So it sounds like I am stuck with the downstairs direct connection and only upstairs room connection? The one upstairs room would be whichever one I connect directly to the prewire coming in from the downstairs room (and was designed to carry the signal TO that room downstairs, not FROM the downstairs room)? If this is true, how would have the guy installed it so I could have more than two TV, limited to one downstairs and one upstairs? Did they screw something up that I could try and get them to fix???

So I can't get a splitter in the distro box so I can use both boxes upstairs? Does that mean each box has to be directly wired to the dish?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbell /forum/post/18306588

On these forums, "DTV" usually means over-the-air digital TV. For DirecTV, people here customarily use "D*" in analogy with "E*" for Dish (Echostar).

thanks for clarifying!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by systems2000 /forum/post/18306162

Sounds like you had a half-ass pre-wire and D* install job done at your location. I'm wondering where this DTV guy grounded your system at. Did you use a local installer or did you contact D* through the "800" number?

Usually, pre-wire installs have dedicated cable runs from every outlet back to a central distribution location. If the wire jumps from room to room with splitters at each outlet, you'll need to run a new cable, from where you want the TV to

your distribution center or where the SAT cable enters the house.

Each room is separately wired back to the distro box, but my problem is the D* guy used the one for the downstairs room along with a double female connector (not sure what the real name is) to join that wire with the prewire from another room upstairs. If the prewire was being used correctly the prewire the D* signal is using to get the signal upstairs would be carrying the signal TO that room downstairs instead of FROM it.

There is a big splitter in the distro box (came with it), but doesn't help with D*. I bought a second splitter that is only a 1in ->2 out splitter that works when only one of the 2 outs has a cable connected to it and that was fine until now since I only has one box upstairs. But now I'm connecting the prewire from a second room to that second out of the small splitter and either box gets enough of a signal to work consistently (if at all).

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
He should have "Home-Runned" the satellite cable to your "Distro" room. The installer did an install that worked for him, not you.

Is the attched image your setup?

The green lines are how the D* installer installed the system. The red lines are the way your pre-wire should have been done.

You need to find where the splitter is (that distributes throughout the second floor) and work from there.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by systems2000 /forum/post/18311862

He should have "Home-Runned" the satellite cable to your "Distro" room. The installer did an install that worked for him, not you.

Is the attached image your setup?

The green lines are how the D* installer installed the system. The red lines are the way your pre-wire should have been done.

You need to find where the splitter is (that distributes throughout the second floor) and work from there.

Thanks for the reply. Your drawing is pretty close, but to help I made up one and attached. Hopefully it helps demonstrate my situation better. Black is prewire, came with the house, and was not done by the D* installer. He did end up using it, as it was already there. The red is the current D* wiring/routing. Note one of the two out of the dish goes directly to the first receiver on the first floor and the second red out of the dish goes into the prewire that was in that downstairs room. There aren't actually two wires up from that downstairs room, the red wire is "riding" (or connected) the black prewire. In the distro box, the two prewires are connected, allowing the red D* signal to continue to ride the prewire.

There is a splitter that came with the distro box in there, but it wasn't even work with only the "source/red/D* " prewire plugged into the "in" port and the single receiver into an "out" port. I bought a second splitter with only two "out" ports that works with only one receiver connector into one of the "out" ports, but does not work with both receivers plugged into the "out" ports.

Make anymore sense on what I'm working with?

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
OK.

You need to identify the cable from the new location into the distribution center. Then disconnect the barrel connection and attached the identified cable to the cable coming from the satellite feed.

To identify the cable, either terminate or short the end in the new room and (at the distribution center) use an ohm meter to find either 75 ohms or the short.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,723 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMI Guy /forum/post/18306171

Are you talking about Directv or digital TV from a cable company?

Moderators Note:

Fixed acronym.

D* = DirecTV

DTV = Digital TV, as in over-the-air

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by systems2000 /forum/post/18324380

OK.

You need to identify the cable from the new location into the distribution center. Then disconnect the barrel connection and attached the identified cable to the cable coming from the satellite feed.

To identify the cable, either terminate or short the end in the new room and (at the distribution center) use an ohm meter to find either 75 ohms or the short.

I have the cable in the distro box identified that will feed a second upstairs room, room 1, but the issue is getting two upstairs rooms feed with only one satellite feed coming into the distro box (red line). I want to keep the box upstairs shown in the picture (room 2) and move the box from downstairs room 1 (currently connected directly to the dish) into upstairs room 1. The finished picture will have a box in upstairs rooms 1 and 2 and no box in downstairs room 1.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Your best bet is to just call D* and have them come do it.

Your original installer was lazy in the way he wired it up. He should have taken the wires from the dish directly into your distribution closet, but it sounds like that would have been harder so he didn't.

One thing that could make this easier though is if you can get D* to come out and change you over to a SWM install (which is what they will most likely do if you call them and ask for them to move your receiver upstairs). With a SWM install they can just use the one line they have currently running to your distribution center and then split it out to up to 8 receivers. This requires you to be using SWM compatible receivers and splitters though, and you haven't said what receivers you have. So what models of receiver do you have?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have a slim line, but I don't know if there are various versions of that.

Should I expect to have to pay for them to do what you are talking about?

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
You may have to pay $50. If you have the protection plan they might not charge you. The only way to know is to call and tell them you want to move your receiver and need a tech to come do it. They will tell you if you will have to pay and give you an estimate (although if the tech feels that the work is more difficult than a standard install he can charge more).

You never said what receivers you have.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
I thought all you wanted to do was move the receiver from one room to one upstairs?

You shouldn't need to touch the existing upstairs receiver unit.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I don't want to move the receiver that is already upstairs

upstairs room 2 -> stays put

downstairs room room 1 -> upstairs room 1

both receivers are H21's

So it sounds like it is not possible to take the single feed coming into the distro box upstairs and split it to 2 H21 receivers?

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
You don't need to do anything with the existing upstairs receiver.

Move the downstairs receiver upstairs and redo the connecting point in the distribution center.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Can you get the Directv cable currently running to room 1 downstairs somehow to room 2 downstairs? If so then use the existing wire going from room 2 downstairs to the distro box upstairs. However don't use the distro box just connect the cable coming from room 2 downstairs to the cable to upstairs room 1.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMI Guy /forum/post/18338894

Can you get the Directv cable currently running to room 1 downstairs somehow to room 2 downstairs? If so then use the existing wire going from room 2 downstairs to the distro box upstairs. However don't use the distro box just connect the cable coming from room 2 downstairs to the cable to upstairs room 1.

This is about the only way you can do it with your current setup, I'm not sure if this is possible though.

You have a standard LNB. You cannot split the wires from a standard LNB. You have to connect each receiver directly to one of the 4 ports on the LNB. If you have more than 4 receivers (or 4 tuners total with DVRS using 2 tuners) then you have to use a multiswitch like the WB68.

D* is now using what they call a SWM LNB. The SWM LNB only has one port on the LNB, you can then take that port hook up a single wire and run it into your house and split it using 2-way, 4-way, or 8-way splitters to feed up to 8 tuners. This is what would make your install much cleaner. The installer would just have to run one wire to your distribution box upstairs and then he could hook up all 4 rooms to a 4-way splitter. Then you could move your receivers around however you want.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts