AVS Forum banner

2121 - 2140 of 2161 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,865 Posts
I do not believe anything but Pascal is being used right now. If they were, why wouldn't those specs./info be called out? Makes no sense to me.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
I'm wondering if I want to pull the trigger on a M3a-1600-4 model in the smaller M4 chassis (I believe Dennis can make these). Or - wait and get a 4x200 model (or maybe it's 4x250) in the smaller M4 chassis.

....sigh. Dunno the price difference currently.

·
Premium Member
6,865 Posts
I'm wondering if I want to pull the trigger on a 4x400 M3a model in the smaller chassis (I believe Dennis can make these). Or - wait and get a 4x200 model (or maybe it's 4x250) in the smaller/new chassis when it comes out.

What do you want to drive with it? I might ask Dennis if he could reveal the price difference between the 400 vs. 200, and if it is significant, maybe wait? Let's face it, 400 watts is a lot of power. BUT if the price isn't too, too different, I'd get the 400 watt unit, but I'm an overkill kinda guy. Don't know why? :eek:

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
What do you want to drive with it? I might ask Dennis if he could reveal the price difference between the 400 vs. 200, and if it is significant, maybe wait? Let's face it, 400 watts is a lot of power. BUT if the price isn't too, too different, I'd get the 400 watt unit, but I'm an overkill kinda guy. Don't know why? :eek:
My JBL SCS8 Atmos speakers. Currently their being driven by 2 different Crown XLS amps. 4 speakers total.

·
Premium Member
6,865 Posts
My JBL SCS8 Atmos speakers. Currently their being driven by 2 different Crown XLS amps. 4 speakers total.

Ah, well, since they can handle 250 watts (not that you need it...???), I'd be inclined to go with the 400 watt amp, even though you'll not use this much power, you'll have plenty on tap. :) I think the other one is going to be 200 watts, and I'm guessing that'd be plenty for you too, but like I said, overkill....:rolleyes:;):D

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Ah, well, since they can handle 250 watts (not that you need it...???), I'd be inclined to go with the 400 watt amp, even though you'll not use this much power, you'll have plenty on tap. :) I think the other one is going to be 200 watts, and I'm guessing that'd be plenty for you too, but like I said, overkill....:rolleyes:;):D

Agreed. Probably not overkill. There’s no such thing as too much!

·
Registered
31 Posts
I currently have the M3a-2400-3 and I'm looking to add another D-Sonic in a different room. This will be a 2 channel, or possibly 3 channel setup. I'd like to know if anyone on here owns a M3a-3000S (2 x 1500W) or the M3a-4500-3 (3 x 1500W). Has anyone even seen one that they could describe it to me? I'm specifically curious to know if the 4500-3 contains 3 separate, identical amp modules inside the chassis. Kind of like having 3 mono amplifiers in a single chassis and sharing one power cord. Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
7 Posts
You noticed a "huge" difference between power amps ?
What has that to do with "not being a audiophile" ? Are there differences only for "audiophiles" to be heard ? Are you trying to disqualify your own judgement on purpose ? :rolleyes:

If there are "huge" differences between power amps, where - normally and usually - barely any differences can be heard between different units anyway, because they are at least a magnitude less than those owed to speakers and room acoustics either the former amps must have been "real crap" or you are bluntly overstating any differences, if there are really any. How did you test for those differences ???

Are you trying to promote this product by just inventing non-existing specifications on a purely "subjective basis" :D Come one, you can do better, don't you :)
"the former amps must have been "real crap""

My front channels are all Martin Logan, ESLX for the left and right and a motion 50XT center. The ESLX are rated at 91 dB and the center at 94 dB. I was running PS Audio M700 monoblocks at 350 watts per channel at 8 ohms and that apparently wasn’t enough (or the amp wasn’t). With as much hype as these amps have received, I expected them to be more than enough. This is where my previously held thoughts on how much power is required were changed. I listened to the M700’s and then the M3a-2400-3. I was literally shocked at what I was hearing at normal sub-reference volume levels. What I previously mistakenly thought was an inability to play clean lower base notes was actually the M700s inability to control my speakers. Now, I’m amazed at the quality and clean reproduction of the lower bass notes. From top to bottom it sounds as though I have upgraded my speaker system.

Preamp / Processor; Yamaha CX-A5200
Amplification front left and right & center channels; D-Sonic M3a-2400-3
Amplification all other channels: Outlaw Model 5000
Left and Right Channels; Martin Logan ESLX
Center Channel; Martin Logan Motion 50XT
Surround Side channels; Martin Logan
Atmos channels; Klipsch
Rear surround channels; Martin Logan ESL

·
Registered
457 Posts
Just joined the D-Sonic family. Bought a M3a-1200 3 from a forum member, which should get here sometime next week. Will be powering my Legacy Audio Silhouettes front stage with it. It’s my first foray into external amplification and I’m quite excited by the potential improvement the D-Sonic will bring over my Denon X4400H!

Reactions: spiroh

·
Premium Member
6,865 Posts
Just joined the D-Sonic family. Bought a M3a-1200 3 from a forum member, which should get here sometime next week. Will be powering my Legacy Audio Silhouettes front stage with it. It’s my first foray into external amplification and I’m quite excited by the potential improvement the D-Sonic will bring over my Denon X4400H!
Excellent! Look forward to your reporting back on how things go with the amp! :)

Reactions: sunPin

·
Registered
35 Posts
Can't do any kind of A/B comparison, but I went from a Pioneer Elite integrated amp ("rated" 135W/ch) to a Marantz Pre-Pro/D-Sonic Amp (400 W/ch) driving Ascend Sierra 2's w/ribbons (rated to 150 W/ch, max peak 300 W/ch), but it was eye-opening for me, bringing the non-scientific terms like "air", "clean", "crisp", speakers "breathe"... bringing these terms to life...listening to (some arguably, some actually) hi-res music, giving speakers "effortless" power (crossing over to S/W @80 Hz) is totally worthwhile, IMHO. The difference in sound quality is not subtle, in my case/opinion (I made it only to "Silver Ears" in the excellent Phillips online listening training program, so I am by no means the final authority).

Reactions: maser and sunPin

·
Premium Member
157 Posts
Any word on the status of the lower power, lower price D-Sonic amps?

·
Registered
596 Posts
Any word on the status of the lower power, lower price D-Sonic amps?
I asked Dennis about this around a week ago. He's still working on the prototype and is trying to finish this up in the next week or so. A bit delayed as he's been deluged with orders.

I'm not sure when it will go into production.

Reactions: maser

·
Premium Member
6,865 Posts
People went ga-ga over D 13 years ago? I hope these days ga-ga not same as 2007 ga-gas!
I think I need a translation here....😗

Reactions: mikela and maser

·
Registered
Yamaha A3080, D-sonic M3a-6100-7, Pioneer UPD-lx500, Benq W2700, SVS-Pb16, Coming - 3xJTR 215RT
15 Posts
My Review of D-sonic amplifier

After months of looking for an amplifier to power my upcoming 3x215RTs from JTR i finally decided to go all in and ordered the D-sonic M3a-6100-7 amplifier. Where i live (Phuket, Thailand) there is no way to listed to any high-end audio so i had to rely on reviews and reading AVS only.

The initial contact with Dennis was outstanding - some emails were responded within 20 minutes and i got answers to all my questions. I have ordered additionally 2 power cords (because why not) and a rack mount (for future installation).

It was shipped very fast by Dennis and arrived after couple of days to the other part of the world. Amplifier is built great - with high quality gold-plated connectors and very nice-powerful appearance.

Initial setup was:

Yamaha A3080 receiver powering Surround, Surround Back, and 2 atmos speakers
D-sonic powering 3 front speakers but with cheap 10usd RCA cable that i had at home
Speakers: 2xJBL Northridge E60 as LR, EC35 as center, E10 as atmos, and some smaller shelf speakers from Koda and Quad for surround/surround back.
SVS pb16

At first i had big hum problem but after 2 hours of thinking i discovered it was a funny AC connection in my home theater. It appeared when i was turning on/off my aircon unit. So after some time i discovered the hum was coming From aircon unit - to projector (which had a socket probably connected to aircon cables) - then through HDMI cable to my Yamaha receiver - and then through RCA to the amplifier. Just by plugging the projector to another wall socket eliminated 90% of the hum.

Seeing this - I decided to order some good cables for the first time in my life :). I ordered Audioquest Red River 2m 2xXLR cables for LR speakers, 5xRCA cables for Center ,Surround and Surround Back speakers and going with the flow Irish Red 8m RCA cable for subwoofer.

After connecting new cables all the hum was 100% eliminated and small hiss was also reduced to almost inaudible levels in the front (have to put my ear 5cm to the 91db center speaker to hear it, its inaudible with XLR-connected front LR speakers).

So now the setup was practically dead silent - which was what i aimed for!

After making new YPAO on my Yamaha and tweaking it to my preferences - i was astonished! I was thinking these 15-20 years old, and XXXusd speakers were just too weak for my listening levels but it was actually my Yamaha A3080 failing to power them! With Yamaha they were already distorting the sound and losing much of the quality with louder levels on the movies. With D-sonic i could crank them to 2x listening levels without any distortion!

This was the moment when i understood why people always recommended going with separates and why a big amp is needed for crazy people like me that like their "ears to bleed" when monsters show up in the movie :). I noticed huge upgrade in clarity, details and overall dynamics of the sound. I was thinking before that my Yamaha was doing a great job and loved to watch movies on it for almost 2 years - but man - now it was like going to another level - or maybe 5 levels up!

After testing D-sonic with some movies i started listening to music... and then was surprised again! So surprised that i did not notice that 5 hours have passed in the middle of the night!!! All the vocals, details and dynamics of the sound were so much greater that in last days i started to listen to 50/50 movie/music (compared with 90/10 before without the amp).

D-sonic works great with my Yamaha now and i only can suppose it can even work better with all XLR connnections (unfortunately Yamaha provides them only for LR) - it is connected via trigger cable and turns on very fast just after the receiver and easily shuts down together with it.

Overall i'm very satisfied with the M3A-6100-7 - it really surprised me with so big difference in listening experience that i can recommend D-Sonic amplifiers to everybody. Great build, amazing sound quality, infinite power. Cannot even imagine when i will have a chance to hook it up with 3x215RTs in the front (which i hope will arrive soon) and then as a next step 4x110HT for surrounds - then i will be able to use its all power!

Great amp and i hope it will last for a long time - i don't think to change it ever!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,865 Posts
Overall i'm very satisfied with the M3A-6100-7 - it really surprised me with so big difference in listening experience that i can recommend D-Sonic amplifiers to everybody. Great build, amazing sound quality, infinite power. Cannot even imagine when i will have a chance to hook it up with 3x215RTs in the front (which i hope will arrive soon) and then as a next step 4x110HT for surrounds - then i will be able to use its all power!

Great amp and i hope it will last for a long time - i don't think to change it ever!
Nice review, and glad you like the new amp! (y) Definitely give us an update when you get the new speakers installed! 😁

2121 - 2140 of 2161 Posts