AVS Forum banner

2141 - 2160 of 2161 Posts

·
Registered
D-Sonic M3a-600M, Krell KRC-HR, Theta Data Universal, Theta Pro Gen V, Monitor Audio 300 Gold
7 Posts
M3a-600M Review

Let me start by saying that I'm a long time audiophile, a former sales person in a well know NYC high end audio salon. As was the case back in the day I put together a rig that reflected those years. I was able to purchase equipment from Krell through Dan D and it actually has been running perfectly since the early 90s! I was running a Krell KSA-250 fed from a Krell KRC-HR. Digital source is from a Theta Pro Gen IV (upgraded through he years) fed by a Theta Data Laser Disc Transport. The Data died some time ago and was replaced but everything remained the same while speakers went from Maggie MG-IIIs to big Thiels, from Thiels to Martin Logans onto a pair of huge Dunlavy’s. I'm now enjoying an amazing pair of Monitor Audio Gold 300s.

My KSA-250 has finally given up and I was at a crossroads. One side of me felt the need to see if it was repairable, the realistic side of me said that the bill would be large and even at that I would always be listening to a 30 year old amp in every way. Besides being old it will always be a threat to break down once again. My thought being it could be matched or bettered with something 30 years in the making for not a whole lot more than what it would cost to repair and give me the advantages that class D has to offer. If I were to believe what I was reading. My reservation of course was that I know what the Krell amp sounded like and what to expect given how wonderful the Krell KSA + KRC-HR combo sounded like with with my Monitor Audios.

Well I took delivery of my amps yesterday. I immediately unpacked and hooked the the amps into my system and have to say that I am extremely happy. Honestly I’m happier with my purchase than I had imagined. My biggest concern was that I wouldn’t be able to match what I had with the Krell powering my system, whole Class A vs Class D debate. Adding to that concern was what could I expect given what the cost of the D-Sonic amps in comparison to what I paid for the Krell back in the early 90s. I spoke to Dennis a number of times, exchanged a number of e-mails, reminded me of the early days of high end audio when you could speak with the people involved in every aspect of the companies we were interested in investing in. Dennis assured me that he was familiar with my Krell and that you felt that his amp would be better in every way. I have to admit he was right. Imaging and soundstage seem quite a bit larger, both wider and deeper. Theres even a sense of more height. Theres a lot more definition to whatever I’ve listened to up to this point, all on a silent background The high end is very similar to the old Krell but again a bit more detailed without being harsh or dry. High end just seems right and a match to the unbelievable tweeter on the Monitor Audios.

Mid range and bass is where these beat the old amp and by a noticeable margin in every way. Bass was better right from first listen, right from the first notes. Its much tighter and faster while stronger. Much better defined in every way. I put a few CDs that highlight vocals and the midrange is both warmer and more pronounced. Much more pleasant and natural than what I was used to. I always knew that was the Krell biggest shortcoming, that as great as that old amp was, as highly regarded as it was back in the day, that the mids were lacking to such a degree that the middle was missing and sounded a little sucked out. I had heard a few review the D-Sonic amps and claim that they were more in your face than other amps and have to say I dont get that impression. The soundstage is so natural and given the depth etc, the last thing I would complain about that it is in your face

All in all I’m ridiculously happy with my purchase of these D-Sonic amps. Im hearing and enjoying a better sounding system in every way, amazingly at a fraction of the cost.

·
Premium Member
6,865 Posts
Besides being old it will always be a threat to break down once again.
Just like my car....:whistle:

I spoke to Dennis a number of times, exchanged a number of e-mails, reminded me of the early days of high end audio when you could speak with the people involved in every aspect of the companies we were interested in investing in.
Definitely one of the many things that makes D-Sonic stand out in my opinion, performance for the dollar aside, Dennis is hard to beat as far as customer service goes.

I had heard a few review the D-Sonic amps and claim that they were more in your face than other amps and have to say I dont get that impression. The soundstage is so natural and given the depth etc, the last thing I would complain about that it is in your face
Perhaps the D-Sonic was simply delivering the goods that their other amps could not, giving that perception...?

All in all I’m ridiculously happy with my purchase of these D-Sonic amps. Im hearing and enjoying a better sounding system in every way, amazingly at a fraction of the cost.
Welcome to the family. Glad you're enjoying the amp! :)(y)

Reactions: LF911SC

·
Registered
D-Sonic M3a-600M, Krell KRC-HR, Theta Data Universal, Theta Pro Gen V, Monitor Audio 300 Gold
7 Posts
Definitely one of the many things that makes D-Sonic stand out in my opinion, performance for the dollar aside, Dennis is hard to beat as far as customer service goes.
Sure was a big part of me feeling secure in selecting a D-Sonic product instead of going to a more "well known" companies product.

Perhaps the D-Sonic was simply delivering the goods that their other amps could not, giving that perception...?
I agree. Or the rest of their systems are the cause of what theyre hearing. Having worked in high end it was comical to have customers describe their systems. POS pre amps with a killer amp whatever hap hazard combo happens more than you know. Or just matching equipment that we as salespeople would never match as a demo system or our home systems because they just didnt go together. So im always leery of what people describe or what they think theyre hearing.

Welcome to the family. Glad you're enjoying the amp! :)(y)
Thanks, like I said earlier, I'm extremely happy for what my system is doing right now and even happier I went the way I did with my purchase. 😃

Now maybe a newer, more 2020 DAC. 😎

Reactions: Jonas2

·
Registered
Yamaha A3080, D-sonic M3a-6100-7, Pioneer UPD-lx500, Benq W2700, SVS-Pb16, Coming - 3xJTR 215RT
15 Posts
M3a-600M Review
Seems like we have similar perception. Contact with Dennis is one of the best experience i had when ordering equipment - and now im just addicted to listening to music (even though i was before using my setup 90-95% for HT) - sometimes i just go to my cinema and get lost in listening for hours! Its so good now! I'm glad you enjoy D-sonic also!

·
Registered
35 Posts
All in all I’m ridiculously happy with my purchase of these D-Sonic amps.
Really glad to hear from someone with your background...I have been so happy with my D-Sonic (first time with separate pre/pro and amp). The change from using an older integrated amp (Pioneer Elite) to current set-up has been night-and-day, the speakers "coming alive" and "being able to breathe" (my non-standard/non-scientific impressions of the D-Sonic).

Now...I just need to go ahead and get the speakers I've been longing for!

Thanks for post!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Seems like we have similar perception. Contact with Dennis is one of the best experience i had when ordering equipment - and now im just addicted to listening to music (even though i was before using my setup 90-95% for HT) - sometimes i just go to my cinema and get lost in listening for hours! Its so good now! I'm glad you enjoy D-sonic also!
It makes a huge difference. A lot of the equipment purchases, probably all of them actually, were made because of my time working in high end audio sales. I had great contact with the owners on down to marketing at Martin Logan, Krell, Theta, VPI, Cardas, Monitor Audio. I coincidentally bought their products, lol. So I guess the story continues. I always said in my sales career that people like to buy from people they like.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Really glad to hear from someone with your background...I have been so happy with my D-Sonic (first time with separate pre/pro and amp). The change from using an older integrated amp (Pioneer Elite) to current set-up has been night-and-day, the speakers "coming alive" and "being able to breathe" (my non-standard/non-scientific impressions of the D-Sonic).

Now...I just need to go ahead and get the speakers I've been longing for!

Thanks for post!
It really is amazing to me the level of sound quality that you can get with these amps at the relatively inexpensive price levels we're talking. Puts a new perspective in my mind to all those who cry about the sound they believe they hear out of class D amps compared to class A. My old Krell was the antithesis of class A, close to 200 lbs, a behemoth room heater that was in any and all of the best of the best listings for transistor amps back in the day. And the D-Sonic loses nothing in comparison to the Krell. Other than cost, weight and heat.

·
Premium Member
6,865 Posts
=My old Krell was the antithesis of class A, close to 200 lbs, a behemoth room heater that was in any and all of the best of the best listings for transistor amps back in the day. And the D-Sonic loses nothing in comparison to the Krell. Other than cost, weight and heat.
Yes, class A good for Arctic climates and boat anchors....:p Seriously, there are great A / AB amps out there, no question about it, but I'm sticking with D-Sonic. Never say never, but I don't see myself changing.

·
Registered
3,785 Posts
Are the D Sonic pascal modules only or can he do hypex/purify modules upon request?

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
Are the D Sonic pascal modules only or can he do hypex/purify modules upon request?
I did not specifically ask Dennis if he can implement different modules but why he chose Pascal in place of the others. He responded with saying that the Pascals sounded more musical to him. I have no doubt that Dennis has thoroughly tested, evaluated and picked what sounded best.

I did hear he was working on some lower powered multichannel amps but did not specifically state what tupe of modules would be used. I wonder how that is coming along.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yes, class A good for Arctic climates and boat anchors....:p Seriously, there are great A / AB amps out there, no question about it, but I'm sticking with D-Sonic. Never say never, but I don't see myself changing.
I dont know what's worse the heat or the weight. Carrying that beast isnt easy. Besides the weight you have to do with the pointy, sharp heat sinks. Throw in the teeny, tiny front handles built more for looks than function and its literally a handful plus. 😜

I really did go back and forth between another A / AB amp, as you said there are so many to choose from. Plus I would have to order these unheard. Fortunately I was able to listen to a pair of PS Audio Stellar M700 monos which at least let me feel more confident in what Class D was capable of.

Weight, heat, power savings and price to power ratio, along with excellent sound quality, I cant of a reason to switch back. To me the biggest issue with Class D is the damn name, Class D just sounds 4 notches below Class A. Obviously a marketing type wasn't involved in the amps nomenclature

·
Registered
7 Posts
I did not specifically ask Dennis if he can implement different modules but why he chose Pascal in place of the others. He responded with saying that the Pascals sounded more musical to him. I have no doubt that Dennis has thoroughly tested, evaluated and picked what sounded best.

I did hear he was working on some lower powered multichannel amps but did not specifically state what tupe of modules would be used. I wonder how that is coming along.
I asked also about why he moved to Pascal and he answered the same way.

I dont find the D-Sonics lacking. After Threshold Stathis, Mark Levinson's, Cellos, Krell, Audio Research amps in my system I'm more than happy with my D-Sonics. They sound great to me without any negatives.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I don't know if SQ is the only reason to go Pascal. The Pascal boards are said to be more reliable. Also, it is an all on one board solution, no? From the standpoint of manufacturing a simple to assemble and reliable product of sufficient performance is hard to pass up!

I'll take reliability and met performance criteria over superlative performance with lesser reliability every time.

As an aside I'd like to point out that a recently introduced 100 wpc integrated from Parasound uses Pascal amplification.

BTW, I'll be in the market for a power amp in three years, knock on wood.

My main point here is D-Sonic most likely provides a more reliable product that sounds as good as Hypex to most people, audiophiles included. I doubt I could hear a difference. I don't doubt Dennis finds Pascal more pleasing. But, easier to build and they don't come back for repairs? What builder wouldn't take that?

Reactions: Jonas2 and LF911SC

·
Registered
7 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts

When I checked with Dennis in early September, he was still working on the prototype of the lower powered multichannel amps. Not sure if he's finished yet or not (guess I'll email him to ask for an update :) ). My guess is he is also using Pascal modules but that is just a guess.

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
When I checked with Dennis in early September, he was still working on the prototype of the lower powered multichannel amps. Not sure if he's finished yet or not (guess I'll email him to ask for an update :) ). My guess is he is also using Pascal modules but that is just a guess.
Oh great, thanks for the update!

·
Registered
596 Posts
Oh great, thanks for the update!
No worries. I sent Dennis an email to check status. Will post here when I hear back. (Last time I emailed, it took awhile as wound up in his SPAM folder :-()

·
Registered
89 Posts
Can you elaborate?

I haven't heard of any reliability issues with any of the various Hypex modules.
Only anecdotes I've read on another forum, tbh. Also, some of the builders using them do shoddy work.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Just recently received and hooked up my new D-Sonic M3a-2800-7. Speakers are a full JTR system (210RT's, 210RM and four 110HT-SL's). Will write more later after some more time with it, but what I'm hearing so far is pretty much blowing me away. Crisp (not bright!), clean, transparent controlled sound with great bass performance and plenty of slam. Been demo'ing both movies and music and am very, very impressed. Also, the fit and finish on this amp is top notch. Very well built. Also shipped quickly in great packaging.

More to come - but so far so (very) good!

2141 - 2160 of 2161 Posts