AVS Forum banner

861 - 880 of 2376 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by adanny /forum/post/16118471

Did you ever consider going monoblocks or stereos for the main? Space is really not a contraint for me and I could go stereo pair for the fronts and 5x250 for the others ut wasnt sure if that gets me anything extra for another 1000 bucks

cheers, and thanks for the help

Each amp channel in a D-Sonic multichannel amp is an independent Ice amp module, so in effect, you are using a monoblock for each channel.

·
Registered
15,247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by penngray /forum/post/16111328

Did someone ever post any 3rd party Distortion measurements for these amps?

Thanks.

I haven't seen them for these particular ones, but AVTech (Miller Audio Research) does post fairly comprehensive measurements on amplifiers. At this time their website appears to be down (AV123 syndrome?!) or undergoing some sort of domain issue, but registration allows one to see the test reports. My general recollection is that not all Class D amps behave 'identically' but with respect to distortion, the odd order components seem to be somewhat higher than the evens and show a slow decrease in level with increasing order. The rate of decrease seems to be less from other amplifier topologies. No reason IMO why the vendor can't post similar data provided they have the equipment to do so.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Thanks to everyone on this thread for all the advice and reviews. Also a special thanks to Dennis for talking with me about the amp and figuring out something that would meet my needs. As a result I purchased a 5 channel MAGNUM 1250 Custom ASP 250 wpc in 8 ohms. It replaced a Parasound HCA-1205 amplifier (145 wpc in 8 ohms and shared power supply). They are powering AV123 Rocket speakers, 3 RSC 200 Signature speakers as LCR and 2 Rocket 250 MKIIs for the rear. Crossovers set at 80 Hz. They are around 89dB sensitive 1w/1m speakers with nominal 8 ohms. The preprocessor is an Onkyo 885. So there is the setup.

I broke it in for 100+ hours before any critical listening. I must say all the reviews are still true in my case. Overall the amplifier produces extremely accurate, clear, and crisp sound in everything. Great midrange and low range punch. I definitely feel like I hear significantly more in every movie I re-watch. Sometimes the subtle sounds are brought forward like never before. Music is clear and crisp, but not sharp. I feel like notes hang in the air and decay as they should. The amp doesn’t add new sound it just removes the mud that I didn’t know was there. Sort of like someone in a third world country who just thinks water is suppose to be muddy and polluted, once you’ve seen the difference it is hard to go back. As a result, like most new AV equipment, it is making me want to re-watch/listen everything.

Now my main cause for buying this amp was to get something that had a significantly cooler operating temperature. On this front it delivered in every way. It was on and running for 8 days. While it was slightly warm when running, it was cooler than my Parasound when it was on but had no signal. To my further delight even when I ramped up the sound to reference volume to watch several movies it didn’t get noticeably warming. It is in a mostly closed cabinet (the back is open) and this is a huge benefit for me. The old Parasound would heat up the room, and this one doesn’t.

For me a true test of this is watching movies with my wife and getting her reaction, especially because her only expectation is that it would be cooler. She was really impressed. I got a couple of “Wows” and “This sounds really good!” and they were all unprompted. Since I had to go slightly over my original budget, this was a huge relief : )

Thanks again to Dennis for all his help. This will probably be the last amp I buy, though I may buy some more modules in the future.

·
Registered
98 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac /forum/post/16111760

I have asked the same questions here and to D-Sonic but have not heard back.

Dennis,

Any information on the possibilty of a D-Sonis "Mini MC"? If you are doing a MC amp based on the asx2 modules do you have a release time frame and possible pricing?

Bill

Bill,

Apologies for the delay here while weighing several options. We are close to committing to a mini-multi at a very competitive price point. I will have more to say after testing is complete in the next two weeks but did not want to space you out any longer.

Regards,

Dennis

d-sonic.net

·
Registered
861 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by subgenius37 /forum/post/16201867

Now my main cause for buying this amp was to get something that had a significantly cooler operating temperature. On this front it delivered in every way. It was on and running for 8 days. While it was slightly warm when running, it was cooler than my Parasound when it was on but had no signal. To my further delight even when I ramped up the sound to reference volume to watch several movies it didn't get noticeably warming. It is in a mostly closed cabinet (the back is open) and this is a huge benefit for me. The old Parasound would heat up the room, and this one doesn't.

In addition to this I would add that the size of the amp is a wonderful advantage. I have a wall unit, and heat and size were issues--I had access to some great used amps, but they wouldn't fit. My Integra does all the heating these days.

·
Registered
14,745 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsonic /forum/post/16383823

Bill,

Apologies for the delay here while weighing several options. We are close to committing to a mini-multi at a very competitive price point. I will have more to say after testing is complete in the next two weeks but did not want to space you out any longer.

Regards,

Dennis

d-sonic.net

Dennis,

No need to apologize as I am sure you are busy
. I look forward to what d-sonic will have to offer with the new modules.

Thanks, Bill

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Hello,

I hqve a five channel d-sonic amp and i am considering the possibility to add two more channels .

Does anyone know if it would be possible to buy and install two more modules on my five channe amplifier? I would rather do it my self if it's easy

Enough.

I emailed to custumer support but I haven't received any reply and I hope to be luckier here.

Thanks

·
Registered
6,684 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by orologio /forum/post/16441284

Hello,

I hqve a five channel d-sonic amp and i am considering the possibility to add two more channels .

Does anyone know if it would be possible to buy and install two more modules on my five channe amplifier? I would rather do it my self if it's easy

Enough.

I emailed to custumer support but I haven't received any reply and I hope to be luckier here.

Thanks

It's definitely possible. But the modules are hard to find, and you'd likely end up paying close to what you'd pay if you shipped your amp back to Dennis to do it anyways. (Certainly by time you add in the input/output connectors and wiring hardware etc.)

·
Registered
431 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by orologio /forum/post/16441284

Hello,

Enough.

Thanks

Send it to Dennis. He'll add the extra two channels for you for a reasonable price.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnrgagne /forum/post/16441338

It's definitely possible. But the modules are hard to find, and you'd likely end up paying close to what you'd pay if you shipped your amp back to Dennis to do it anyways. (Certainly by time you add in the input/output connectors and wiring hardware etc.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedoflight /forum/post/16441583

Send it to Dennis. He'll add the extra two channels for you for a reasonable price.

I remember when you (rnrgagne) suggested to me to get a 7 channels amp... hagrrrh! i wish i listened...

i am happy to know that at least it's possible.

Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
431 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by orologio /forum/post/16444863

I remember when you (rnrgagne) suggested to me to get a 7 channels amp... hagrrrh! i wish i listened...

i am happy to know that at least it's possible.

Thanks for the reply.

D-Sonic uses the same box for the 5 channel & 7 channel amps. Your 5 channel amp will have slots for 2 more amp modules on each outside end of the inside of the box as well as a plug on each end of the back of the box where the interconnects and speaker terminals for the extra 2 modules will fit.

·
Registered
7,321 Posts
def send it in to dennis, he will usually do a nice check over on anything that needs attention, hes a good guy.... been very helpful for me...

·
Registered
431 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaisernaut /forum/post/16464193

Anyone use this amps for 2 channel stereo.....

Yes, I have the 2000-5 and when I'm using my Squeezebox, I'm listening in stereo, only using the front L & R channels. Sounds great BTW.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Orologio.

I have not received anything from you regarding upgrading to 7 channel. Price would be $450 plus shipping to convert your M2000-5 to an M2500-7.

You can reach me at:
[email protected]

800-862-7998

Regards,

Dennis

d-sonic.net

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Hi Warp,

Did you ever post a mini-review of the D-sonic vs the W4S amps?

·
Registered
7,321 Posts
Nope, I never did a side by side, just don't have the time.... I am extremely thrilled with both products in my separate systems... both present the utmost in SQ and are extremely comparable, either product would serve to be a fantastic product.

·
Oppo Beta Group
11,842 Posts
Is there such a thing as a D-Sonic amp in black with a black power switch?

The white switch fails WAF.

- Rich

861 - 880 of 2376 Posts