AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night I had the pleasure to preview the upcoming release of Digital Video Essentials at Jim Doolittle's, one of Joe Kane's right hand men. He has a a Runco FP expertly calibrated by himself.

Well the image quality was stunning. The montage of images was spectacular whether it was close ups of food, people, computer generated images or the space shuttle lifting off. There was footage of the boosters separating that was "out of this world". Jim who calibrates high end projectors for a living clearly thought this was the most stunning image he has seen, I agree. We watched in 720P, but he also had a 1080i version.

There were plenty of new test patterns that excited Jim, especially since these are the first good HD ones he has available to him for future calibrations.

As I understood, CES will be some sort of coming out party for the D-Theater version. The DVD is expected in the spring.

·
Premium Member
2,447 Posts
I can't wait for the D-Theater AND DVD versions. I especially like the 720p D-Theater version because my set can display it natively. I'll still be picking up the 1080i version too though.

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
Though I have an HD pattern generator, I'm very much interested in getting this one, since it will allow me to include the JVC in the calibration chain and get that extra bit of validation of the calibration. I'm hoping it's no more than the average D-Theater tape.

·
Preditor
1,510 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by alv
Well the image quality was stunning. The montage of images was spectacular whether it was close ups of food, people, computer generated images or the space shuttle lifting off. There was footage of the boosters separating that was "out of this world". Jim who calibrates high end projectors for a living clearly thought this was the most stunning image he has seen, I agree. We watched in 720P, but he also had a 1080i version.
I wonder if the footage has been revisited since it was shown at the Widescreen Review event.

The footage looked good, but not mind blowing (at least I can't remember it looking that great). But what stood out was the edge enhancement, it was off the charts, especially on the space shuttle sequences. Worse than any DVD I ever saw.

I hope it's been improved.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Is the JVC capable of 720P?

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
For recording, the JVC doesn't much care. It records a digital MPEG stream and it doesn't matter what the resolution is, since it's just data.

For output, I'm not sure if it claims to support 1080p out of its component outputs, but it should be able to handle any of the other official HD resolutions, of which 720p is one.

·
Registered
713 Posts
I thought I read from Gary in his posts;

"Of significant news is that we are taking orders for Digital Video Essentials, a Joe Kane Productions’ D-Theater release in two versions: 720p and 1080i. This is an essential testing resource for high-definition components in your home theatre system. Please visit www.DVHS MovieGuide.com to order. "

I went there and didn't see it available for order. I'm not a subscriber, maybe it's only available if you subscribe??

Jeff

·
Registered
21,720 Posts
The JVC D-VHS VCR, if you set it in the menu to "native", will play back whatever rate the program is broadcast in, whether 480i, 480p, 720p or 1080i. I confirmed this using my Samsung SIR-T165 with 1394 connection, playing back Samsung via 1394 through the JVC. No matter what I set the 165's manual switch to - 480p, 720p or 1080i, I find that the JVC always plays back the station at its native broadcast rate, here in Phoenix PBS, NBC and WB at 1080i, ABC at 720p and FOX at 480p!!!

·
Premium Member
1,430 Posts
While I completely understand the reasoning behind mastering this in D-Theater, I WISH DVE would be released in 720p and 1080i versions for us Panny PV-HD1000 owners. I want my system to be "the best it can be", but the best it can be does NOT include purchasing an a la mode JVC unit for $>500.

Best regards,

~~Nathan

·
Registered
871 Posts
The decision by Joe Kane to release DVE in D-Theater HD format only is extremely short-sighted.

Doing so cuts off potentially lucrative markets in Japan, Korea, and even the USA as owners of a US 30K are the ONLY potential customers.

Copy protection concerns could have been amply addressed by simply using 5c copy never encoding.

Ladeling on D-Theater simply limits the potential customer base while likely increasing the production costs paid to JVC...

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Quote:
Copy protection concerns could have been amply addressed by simply using 5c copy never encoding.
Yes, especially if you consider that when playing a D-Theater tape, the 30000u outputs a firewire decrypted signal only protected by the 5C mechanism.

In other words, the D-Theater touted copy protection is a lie. It's 5C, nothing more than standard DVHS.

·
Registered
785 Posts
I agree. It's a shame that those of us who have decided that D-Theater Hollywood product is not as important to us as basic HD time-shifting cannot take advantage of what is probaby going to be a very useful tool. Hopefully Joe will reconsider that position.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.