AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll probably be buying a JVS D-Theater unit after I see the WSR demo in San Diego next weekend. I'm wondering if anyone has got their systems handling both hi-def playback and broadcast HDTV (DirecTV). I'll be buying a processor/scaler to handle regular DVDs and satellite TV, and I need everything to be remote contolled by a Crestron system. Any experience or suggestions? Does the JVC unit have a hi def passthrough that could accept the scaler's output (which would include HDTV). Or will a switcher be necessary?

Craig

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
The JVC 30kU has two hi def outputs (component and firewire) and one hi def input (firewire). As such it has no passthough capability. While recording the firewire input appears on the component output.

The firewire output can be read (and displayed) by only three devices that I'm aware of: another JVC 3xk or 3xkU, a few Sony XBR2's, and the 169 product. Of these, only the JVC's and Sony can read and display D-Theater via firewire.

Therefore, if you want to display D-Theater tapes, you'll need to use the component output of a 30kU. I suspect you'll need a component/RGB transcoder and switcher.

Maybe we'll see each other at the demo. I'll be the funny-looking old guy with glasses.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Quote:
The firewire output can be read (and displayed) by only three devices that I'm aware of: another JVC 3xk or 3xkU, a few Sony XBR2's, and the 169 product. Of these, only the JVC's and Sony can read and display D-Theater via firewire.
And you forgot two more. The JVC D-VHS firewire interface is also complety compatable with the Mitsubishi Intergated HDTVs and upgradeable HDTVs with the Promise Module.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Sorry, I didn't know someone here had actually done that. Do D-theater tapes display thru firewire to the Mits tv's?

·
Premium Member
2,399 Posts
Bruce:

I have asked this question several times but have never received an answer; perhaps you can supply it. Do the new Mits Integrated RP

TV's supply an OTA signal via firewire that can be recorded by the 30K?

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Hi Mikey,

Per my source at MDEA,

"Do the new Mits Integrated RP

TV's supply an OTA signal via firewire that can be recorded by the 30K?"

-- Yes

"Do D-theater tapes display thru firewire to the Mits tv's?"

-- Yes

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
"Do D-theater tapes display thru firewire to the Mits tv's?"

-- Using JVC 30kU -- Yes

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Are these Mits products that actually exist? I guess I'm a little surprised that no one has jumped on this thread and said "I've displayed D-theater via firewire on the Mits xxxx device."

·
Premium Member
2,399 Posts
Hi Bruce:

Thanks for the positive info. I have been thinking about a new RP and the Mitsu seems like a logical choice. My two concerns have been the ability to record from the Mitsu to the 30K, and I have read there is a "red push" problem peculiar to the Mits. It also seems that Mits retailers are kinda scarce (can you say "Crazy Eddie"?). You have answered my major concern, and a pro should be able to adjust the set properly to realize its full potential.

·
Premium Member
2,399 Posts
Gridleak:

I'm with you. I have asked this question at least three times during the past three months, and no one responds. Instead there have been numerous posts concerning whether the Sony XBR integrated TV's can furnish a recordable signal via firewire (they can't).

The Mits web-site has touted the two way firewire capability of the newer integrated RP's, but I was afraid to believe it fearing they were compatible only with the Mits D-VHS VCR.

Anyone else able to add anything?

·
Premium Member
12,972 Posts
I played with a MIts DVHS and a Mits RP at Sound advice. They could not demo the system because they, nor I could figure out how to record from the firewire connection. They didn't have a DVHS tape to demo either so it just sat on the shelf with nothing. I brought in a HD tape that I recorded with the Panny PVHD1000 and that was the first time we saw the Mits HD2000U play back. We still could not figure out how to record eventhough we had a 1080i local station displaying on the RP at the time. The recorder would just record Black silence.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Don,

I find it strange that you and the store staff couldn't get the Mits HDTV/D-VHS combo to work. I saw a very good demo at a GoodGuys in Milpitas, CA. Surprisingly good in fact. Can you believe it - the salesperson actually knew something about what was on the floor. Almost every HD capable non-integrated set had a Hughes derivative HD STB connected and working from a rooftop antenna distributed throughout the store.

The Mits with the D-VHS connected was the Diamond 73". Very slick setup with the Havi. I didn't actually get to "drive" the remote, but it looked very easy.

The guy didn't know anything about the JVC 30k recorder because they didn't carry it, but he was well informed about they stuff they did have. Well, with the possible exception that he didn't know that Loewe dropped Sensory Sciences.

- Mike

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by gridleak
Are these Mits products that actually exist?
The Mits. TVs with integrated OTA HD tuner and firewire have been shipping for at least 6 months. The "promise" module which will add this capability to older Mits. TVs is supposed to available in the fall. AFAIK there have been reports of people using the Mits. TV w/ the Mits. D-VHS deck, saying that it was very easy to use and works exaclty as it should. I don't recall anyone posting a positive or negative result using the Mits. TV w/ the JVC deck. I wouldn't bet my life on it, but at this time there is no reason to believe that the JVC deck won't work well with the Mits. TV.

BTW, I think Mitsubishi missed the boat with the "promise" module. For the reported price of around $1000 they should have included Directv capability. At $1000 I don't think they will be flying off the shelf when released. I think I'll wait (maybe forever) for a OTA/Directv STB w/firewire. When (if) it becomes available I'm almost sure it won't be more expensive than the "promise" module.

Jay

·
Premium Member
2,399 Posts
Dave:

It is my understanding that the "Promise" is not relevant to the current Mits integrated RP's feeding a firewire signal to the 30K as the Mits web site claims they are "two way" fireway capable at present. Therefore, they should feed the 30K through a firewire connection. Bruce says they will, but his is not first hand experience.

Surely, somebody has a "hands on" answer.

While I have the 169 unit, since I am in the market for a new RP monitor, the new Mits integrated tuner units make sense.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mikey mo
It also seems that Mits retailers are kinda scarce (can you say "Crazy Eddie"?).
I see that you are in Lakeland. Sound Advice carries the entire Mits. TV line and has stores in the Tampa and Orlando area. I have received very competetive prices from them on various items including a 2001 Mits. RPTV. They also have excellent customer service policies. Good luck.

Jay

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
All I am asking and agreeing with Don that if someone had something like this going, why are they not bragging about how great it works?

Thats why anything like this I call "The Promise"

dave

·
Premium Member
2,399 Posts
Dave:

I keep asking the same question.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.