AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are the D-Theater titles being kept away from some potential sellers?...for awhile, maybe permanently??? ...like ones who, say, discount?

ALIEN is hard to find get. Widescreen Review sold it for awhile but has reverted to taking "preorders". That doesn't make much sense. Fox's .com sells it. Is Fox limiting distribution? Are they keeping it away from those who might discount it? Or, are they just gonna distribute themselves in the future? Nobody but Fox, that I can locate, has ALIEN.

Somethin' smells wrong, fishy....

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
44 looks and not even an opinion??? Conspiracy theories are welcome here!;)

·
Registered
25,025 Posts
Rachael,

I ordered my copy of Alien last night and no mention( at least yet) of it being out of stock. When I saw all the rave reviews of this tape( particularly this classic ) I decided to order it. I did however notice a strange aberration on the WSR site. It showed it as a preorder one time, I closed the site went back to look again 20 minutes later and it showed it for order.

Art

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
I went ahead and ordered today from FOX's store. Hopefully it is actually in stock.

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
I got mine from Widescreenreview. I have ordered from the discounters (bestprices and dvdempire) in the past, but I don't mind paying the extra $5 for a title I really want (like Alien).

I understand why we would prefer discounted titles, but sometimes I can't believe these threads about saving a couple of bucks on HD media, given the investments some of us have made in our home theater systems (I mean, multiple laserdisc players over $1k!).

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Art, that preorder plaque has come and gone a few times apparently. Robert (Obi) got his copy there. All I ever saw was the preorder thingy. I ordered a copy from Fox. I'm afraid to sit around contemplating any D-VHS title too long. I'm afraid they'll go OOP in about 20 minutes.;) :)

Guyz, I hope we all get a copy before the 20 minutes is up!:D

·
Banned
3,752 Posts
Rachael:

I don't think the problem is one of conspiracy (to piss off videophiles) but one of apathy. Apathy on the part of the few studios that do release on D-Theater because it is simply too small to expend resources on, apathy on the part of JVC because I'm sure they know the format isn't really going anywhere so they don't want to put any real money in increasing replication capacity, and finally apathy on the part of retailers for basically the same reason, there just isn't enough money in D-Theater to make it worth their time.

What we few D-Theater afficianados are left with is a handful of movies we want because they look so incredibly good on this format and no place to get them. It seems to defy logic. A good title like Alien get released that could actually push the format forward and maybe generate enough sales to indicate there is some interest then no one is willing to pay enough attention to actually replicate enough titles to cover demand and even then, most of the few retailers willing to sell the tapes don't even get it listed.

Yes, it almost seems they want to sabotage the format so they can fold the thing and stop messing with it. In truth, I don't think "they" are either that devious or that smart, but it does seem that way.

The bottom line is, these things are damned hard to find. :(

·
Registered
25,025 Posts
Rachael,

I hope you get your copy soon since I'm chomping at the bit personally. I ordered it without having a functioning 30K. I complained about the time consumed in repair of my unit at Sears( over six weeks) and they gave me a loaner today ....wow !

Robert,

Here is an interesting hypothetical . If DTheater had started out as an HD format with blockbuster titles and the very best of the great films of the past would you have paid the kinds of dollars the early releases of same cost on LD 1982 ,say $100 in 1980 dollars ?

Art

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Robert, I like the general parameters of your theory, but like Colombo, there's one little thing that bothers me. Hollywood traditionally loves a price-gouging format to sell to the 'philes. Since they get to charge more for D-VHS than DVD, I'm suprised they're not more intrested in D-Theater...that's my little thingy. The smell of fresh money in the morning...:)

Art, in the very beginning of LD they were determined to keep disc prices low. That could of worked out better, maybe? However, they released the format before they bothered to purr-fect the software. Costs went totally orbitable as the discs came back.

A team of crackerjack scientists and fun loving guys here in Knoxville solved the LD/CD oxidation thang. They baked them, poured acid on them, frooze them, threw them, scratched them, sanded them, put them in salt water, fresh water, water mixed various agents, and assorted other nasty, heinous acts that mostly are too horible for me to mention in this decorum.;)

The Magnavox employee whom I partied with and told me everything I wanted to know, well, it's my impression that he really enjoyed his work! He put an LD between two seat cushions and sat on it, at his desk, for a month before they measured it for warpedness.

Anyhow, somewhere along the way the crack team of LD-ologists figured out it was the glue oxidating the big and little baby discs too. The dude told me to never buy LD's dated before 1984. This was in '85 and I finally got LD about a year later. I always heeded his advice.

There were lots of DiscoVision discs circulating here in the 80's. I think Magnavox more or less forced their employees to take those big toploaders home. I have one myself. I got it with a lot of discs I obtained some years ago. It stille works. It belongs in a museum or somethin'!

I have some DiscoVision discs and pre-1984 discs that I've obtained in various lots. They'd be totally useless beyond arts and crafts if it wasn't for the HLD-X9!:D

Well, we all know where LD prices ended up going.... "...ludicrous speed now..."

I'm really suprised Hollywood is so casually disintrested in grooming D-VHS into a bigger coin thang...like LD, sort'a. Best wishes guyz!:)

·
Banned
3,752 Posts
Quote:
If DTheater had started out as an HD format with blockbuster titles and the very best of the great films of the past would you have paid the kinds of dollars the early releases of same cost on LD 1982 ,say $100 in 1980 dollars ?
Hmm, interesting indeed. I did, in fact, have a number of those $100 and $100+ LDs, and was actually glad to get them. I shudder to even think about all those $70 Fox discs that were nothing more than a (so-so) letterboxed transfer on three sides that I once clamored (yes, clamored) for now sitting gathering dust.

But, I have to think that was then and this is now. DVD has changed a lot of things. I can say with certainty that I would pay considerably more for titles I like on D-Theater than I do for DVDs. But a hundred bucks? I can think of a few movies, if available on the format, I spend whatever I could afford, but only a few. At, say, $40 retail though, I'd buy D-Theater all day long.

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, I was really bum'ed out last night when I got a shipping notice from Fox and it appeared that I was only getting UNFAITHFUL which I had also ordered. Imagine my suprise when the package arrived 2-day and both were in it. Fox, apparently, has a distribution facility in not so far away Huntsville, Alabama. The turn-around time on my order was amazingly fast!

I'm watching ALIEN 2-night!:)

Robert, I remember those Fox (silver, grey???) cover LD's. I used to scoop them up at a local used media store as fast as I could find them. I never paid $70 for any of them. What few I bought new I got from Ken Cranes' for 20% off. I may stille have a few I'd watch? I gave a friend SINK THE BISMARCK which was one of the better ones, relatively recently. I was P'd for years on end at Fox for not making a second run of PLANET OF THE APES because I was all too willing to send Ken $56 for one...if they only had one. The olden dayz haze!:)

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Geeze that's what I ordered from Foxstore as well! I was also told that alien was out of stock but got it as well. Fox has 2 day shipping on all orders.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Dave,

When I ordered Alien from Foxstore I got a order confirmation email, which said I would receive a shipping confirmation email when the tape was mailed.

Two days later the tape arrived at my door, three days after that I got the shipping confirmation email. :)

--Jerome

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
I'm stuck in "Being prepared for order" mode at FOX's store. :(

·
Registered
19,240 Posts
Did you guys use the PAPAJOHNS coupon? It gave me $8.95 off!:eek:

All I did was Google "Foxstore.com" and "coupon" and it came up. I always search for coupons before I place an online order.

It's supposed to give $7 off and free shipping, so I sent them an email but got no response.

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by DaveFi
I ordered from Foxstore yesterday as well, and it seems as if it's hung up in the "preparing for shipping" cycle.

So are you saying it just shows up?
It did for me. My shipping e-mail indicated ALIEN was not coming, but it did. Just lucky I quess! My order got to me in about 36 hours. Good luck! :)

May good fortune shine on the rest of ya'all too. It really is sort'a preposterous when it's this hard to buy stuff!:confused:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.