AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow..i've really reached a crossroads here....

I'm a huge Hockey fan and I'm stoked that the NHL is back..

I'm currently a DTV customer with the HDTV package. I'm reading about the customer retention offers for the HD DirecTivo where people are getting them for almost nothing.

however, I was seriosly thinking of dropping DTV for the Hockey Season and switching to Cablevision in order to get the Islander games in HD in NY.

Does anyone know if there are any plans for DirecTV to broadcast Fox SportsNET in NY in HD in the near future? More importantly, Islander games???

I'd love to get this HD DVR, but it requires a 2 year commitment to DTV. If I need to choose between a HD- DVR and the Isles in HD, I'll choose the Isles.

·
Premium Member
48,895 Posts
The assumption is that when the LIL HD packages are introduced, RSNs will be included.

Nothing has been mentioned about hockey thusfar, but this summer on the MLB Extra Innings packages many of the local HD games have been available -- usually two, sometimes threed different games each night. Yankees home games on YES have been a staple.

Why don't you call the Islanders and ask for their media department. Someone there might know or at least have an idea.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Fox Sports Net is owned by Cablevision. I'm almost certain that that they are transmitting FSN-HD via fiber instead of satellite. A primary reason for this is so they are not required to allow D* and E* to carry these channels if they distribute via fiber.

Cablevision is the reason that D* doesn't and probably won't carry FSN-HD. They're doing it to get people to do exactly what you said that you are considering...

Quote:
Originally Posted by goisles1
I was seriosly thinking of dropping DTV for the Hockey Season and switching to Cablevision in order to get the Islander games in HD in NY.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the info guys..

I had a feeling it was Cablevision that was blocking this.. Such a crock.

i may just keep my DTV and the NFL package and watch the isles at the local watering hole or at my bro's who has iO.

·
Registered
14,447 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Broderick
Fox Sports Net is owned by Cablevision.
If it has the name FOX in it, then FOX owns a piece of it too. News Corp doesn't just let anyone use their trademarked names because it is just a "cool thing to do."

·
Registered
4,707 Posts
He's talking about Fox Sports New York, that is owned by Cablevision.

DirecTV is already carrying HD content from the Fox owned Fox Sports Nets, so if they wanted to show FSN NY programming they could easily do it now as well. So I don't see the logic of them waiting until HD LIL is launched, that's totally seperate

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgall
He's talking about Fox Sports New York, that is owned by Cablevision.

DirecTV is already carrying HD content from the Fox owned Fox Sports Nets, so if they wanted to show FSN NY programming they could easily do it now as well. So I don't see the logic of them waiting until HD LIL is launched, that's totally seperate
Cablevision has MSG and FSNY HD running on fiber though. Not to mention Cablevision's huge pitch whenver any team is playing a game in HD on one of the channels that its "Only on Cable". FSNY and MSG HD can still go to D* but D* would probably have to put up a few bills to do so.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,617 Posts
Be specific with topic titles, see my edit.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.