AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a Zenith 520 and D*TV has already upgraded me to the phase III dish. The installers work order didn't list the switch upgrade, I currently have 3x8, and so I had to call D*TV back to convince them that a 5x8 switch is now needed. On the first trip out the install already knew I needed a 5x8 switch but he didn't have one on the truck or in his stock.

He called me again when I got the second work order to replace the switch and told me he had been on the phone with D*TV, even some higher ups, and that there was no "D*TV approved" 5x8 multiswitch and that he couldn't install on for me because he wouldn't get reimbursed.

Has anyone had D*TV install a 5x8 multiswitch without having to pay for it out of your pocket?

I could just go and get an Apen Eagle for less hassle than this but since I already added a year commitment to get the dish for free I figured I would try to get them give me an installation that works.

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
 This post says they will. I'm quite interested in this too, as I've also just upgraded to the T160, and now that I'm in to multi-sat, I'm out of outputs (my old single sate multiswitch is now useless).

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did see that post but it didn't sound like it had actually happened. They told me they would both when I made the initial arrangements and when I had to callback because of the lack of multiswitch on the first work order.

Hopefully someone will have had luck and that will help us out as well.

FWIW, 4x8 wasn't a problem, it was the fifth, OTA/cable input that caused the headaches.

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by skmcclure
FWIW, 4x8 wasn't a problem, it was the fifth, OTA/cable input that caused the headaches.
So are you saying DirecTV was good with giving you a 4x8? I don't combine my OTA signal into my sat feeds, so I'm perfectly happy with a 4x8.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, the installer said the 4x8 wasn't a problem. I take that with a grain of salt though. That is, until it is installed and I'm not charged for it, I'm not sure what I would believe.

·
Registered
13 Posts
D* recently upgraded my system to the 3LNB Dish. On the existing 2LNB dish I had placed my own 3x8 multiswitch. The installer didn't have an upgrade on the work order (it had been requested), but had a 4x8 on his truck. After talking with his dispatcher, he placed the 4x8 in my setup at no charge.

The 4x8 works fine. He did tell me that D* has never supplied him with a 5x8 since they don't "officially" support multiplexing the antenna/cable feed with the D* feed.

I will be replacing the 4x8 with a 5x8 soon to feed my antenna to all locations, but in the meantime I was able to use an existing (additional) cable run to the T160 box for my antenna.

Kevin

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.