AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
if my HDTV only supports 1080i and not 720p what are the advantages if any, in getting a HD stb that supports 720p as well as 1080i (sony) vs just getting the Hughes, which only supports 1080i.

i ask because i have an opportunity to get the Hughes stb w/ HD D*tv for a really good price and was wondering if i'll be missing out by not getting the sony or the samsung for that matter that supports 720p.

btw, DVI is not an issue b/c my TV doesn't have the port. (Philips 42FD9954 plasma)

thanks.

·
Registered
930 Posts
The Hughes should be fine in your situation since you don't need DVI or 720p. Keep in mind that down the road you may wish that you had both of these features. If OTA reception is or will be important to you the Samsung

and Sony, Zenith ( both made by Zenith's parent company LG Electronics)

may perform better for local HD reception. I should warn you that many

people ( myself included ) have had trouble with the Hughes due to heat problems. The Hughes runs very hot and over time it's performance may start to degrade and eventually fail! Many have reported that if you keep the Hughes out of a enclosed rack and put a small fan either on or near the receiver that this cures the heat problem.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.