AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After logging about 50 hours on my JVC deck, I figure it's overdue for a cleaning. I have heard the JVC cleaning tape is not good. How is the Maxell VHS Head Cleaner (Wet, VP-200)? It's not marketed as being compatible with D-VHS, so I don't know if this is a good option or not.

I remember an older post that had detailed instructions for manually cleaning the unit by removing the cover, etc. but the search feature doesn't go back too far. Any help would be appreciated with advice for cleaning this thing.

·
Premium Member
729 Posts
I'll have to check what I have, but I don't think it's a wet system. The maxell cleaner I bought, which was recommended from some members here, is a dry tape. I think it's VP100 or instead of 200. In any case, it seems to work fine with no harm done. Although wet cleaning is probably preferred as you can clean all parts of the tape path that the dry tape cannot.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
I have over 1000 hours and I never cleaned my heads. Every 100 hours I clean the capstain and the pinch roller. The deck has a self-cleaning thingy for the heads and mine is working flawlessly. The cleaning tape cleans the heads, but I doubt it does much for the capstain/pinch roller. On my machine I get dropouts with capstain/pinch roller being dirty, never because of the heads (since they're always clean).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.