AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Please describe in detail. Do you mean that tapes with dd5.1 don't work at all (no sound and no video), and tapes without dd5.1 work ok? Or have you just lost sound output from dd5.1 tapes?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry,

D-vhs tapes do not play back in 5.1 only pro-logic. This problem has just started, previously I was able to playback thx surround ex[5.1], but recently lost that ability. The problem occurs on all my d-vhs tapes.

I checked the jvc and it is set to dolby digital, not pcm. I have tried cleaning the jvc with their head cleaner still no change.

Thanks for the help,

Marie

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Gridleak,

More info, I can record and playback from my samsung 165 via the jvc and get 5.1[thx surround ex] when that signal is available. Usually on shows like Alias and the Practice.

Thanks again,

Marie

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
By "prerecorded" do you mean D-Theater movies that you have purchased? When D-Theater movies are played back thru the Samsung you won't hear dd5.1 sound. It's a flaw in the Samsung.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I do mean dvhs pre-recorded tapes, my output is from the jvc 30k[optical] to an input on my denon 5800.

Thats why it is so frustrating since I can record and playback dd5.1 from ota broadcasts, but put in a dvhs theatre tape and no dd5.1.

Marie

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I need to understand how things are connected. Tell me if this is correct:

Samsung (component out) --> Denon (DTV component in)

Samsung (optical out) --> Denon (DTV optical in)

JVC (component out) --> Denon (DVR component in)

JVC (optical out) --> Denon (DVR optical in)

JVC (firewire in/out) --> Samsung (firewire in/out)

If you are viewing the Samsung sound is coming from the Samsung optical out and you are getting 5.1 ok.

If you are viewing the JVC sound is coming from the JVC optical out and you don't get 5.1.

If you are viewing the Samsung and playing a tape on the JVC then sound is coming from the Samsung optical output and you get 5.1 on things you have recorded (but not for D-Theater).

If this is what is happening then it sounds like the optical connection between the JVC and the Denon is not working, and the Denon is defaulting to the AV connection. Unplug the JVC's optical connection at the Denon and see if red light is coming out of it (JVC has to be on). Look for kinks in the cable. Optical cables are fragile. Also check the Audio Mode on the JVC. It's controlled by a button near the top of the remote. For DVHS tapes it cycles between surround and two forms of mono.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.