Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Getting ready to move into our new home where cable service is unavailable, leaving satellite as the only option.

VOOM seems flakey, so the real option is down to either DirecTV or Dish. Overall, who has the better HD options/service? Do either offer a HD box with a Firewire port? (my current Cox HD box has a firewire port where I record HD programming via my Mac [see the HDTV recorders forum])

Also, does one service have a better overall feed? My one fear is that I keep reading that satellite compresses HD broadcasts more than cable, and I worry that I will see even more artifacting than I'm seeing now.

Thanks for any info you may have!

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,753 Posts
I've edited your post to reflect the following:

DTV = Digital TV, as in over-the-air reception

D* = DirecTV

·
Registered
682 Posts
Well D* has a deal going now were you can get HD programming free for a year I think. You have to buy there receivers instead of rent and I believe that will set you back like 300$ or so I could be wrong. Dish Network offers a HD receiver for a rental fee and I believe six months free of HDTV for new subscribers. You can also buy the 811 HDTV receiver pretty cheap if you don't like to rent. If I had the cash I would buy a HDTV Tivo from D* right now! However I don't and so I actually use a Dish and Cable solution to get my fix LOL!

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
If you're a sports fan get Directv. You'll get NBA TV games in HD, NFL ST games in HD, March Madness Games in HD and Directv seems have a better HD plan for future channels to be added. This is all coming from a Directv subscriber. I've loved my service and as GP78 said if you have the money, which i also don't, I'd get the HD DVR w/tivo in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
101 Posts
D* and E* HD programming are comparable right now. The only difference is D* offers BravoHD and E* offers TNTHD. Personally, I think BravoHD is a waste of bandwidth. TNTHD has been steadily improving their HD offerings. One big difference between the two services is that D* forces you to subscribe to Total Choice before you can get your HD programming. E* has no such requirement, only requiring a fee of $5.00/month if you want to subscribe only HD programming. I think E* is a better value at the moment.

As far as futre programming goes, D* has announced more ambitious plans whereas E* has remained mostly silent.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have had both services and in my opinion the quality of the HD broadcasts are comparable. If you are into professional sports packages, Directv would be your choice. As mentioned in a previous post the HD package is similar except for a couple of channels. Dish is $1 cheaper, but Directv has the 6 months free when you sign up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.