AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 38" RCA direct view set, I also have D* and E*. I feed both boxes to my Onkyo receiver via component with high end cabling, thus with my remote I can switch back and forth between Vid1 and Vid2( D* & E* ). Tonight I tuned both to ESPN HD for the NFL game, during both long and close shots I compared both D* & E* PQ on the same camera shots. The result? The detail and color depth was noticeably better on E*, and also the sound was better on E*. My own personal judgement the compression on D* does noticeably result in lower PQ than what E* puts out. When my 12 month commit to both ends in April, whoever has their S*** together as far as HD goes stays and the other gets tossed.

·
Registered
5,789 Posts
you think thats bad... try comparing an uncompressed espn (cable) vs voom (which most considered to be the best HD PQ around). It wasnt even close.

I never was able to directly compare my cable to D*/E* but if there was a difference from voom I would imagine it would be even more of a difference between D*/E*.

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
Hmmm... Is there any reason the audio would be worse with one provider than with another? Are any providers recompressing the audio? People with an R5000-HD or 169Time system should be able to check the audio bit rates.

·
Premium Member
2,399 Posts
I too had all three sat services. I would rank PQ as VOOM, E*** and D*** in that order. But, to be truthful, I didn't notice all that much difference on my 73" MITS.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vurbano
You think its bad now? wait for ST in HD and ESPN2HD
ST takes bandwidth from the 101 satellite, in addition to the other two slots. They usually turn off most of the PPV movies during this time.

Sunday Ticket is their showcase package. I'd be surprised if the HD quality was really poor this season. Especially with that superfan package.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.