AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you could pls post your preferred settings for the HT1000 using the Bravo D1 it could be helpful.

Right now I'm not totally certain the grayscale will be right messing around with the RGB-white settings.

Using a 6ft DVI cable and I'm not certain if using Avia to tune the Brightness and Contrast RGBs will keep the grayscale intact. I'm getting a little less saturation over using a progressive DVD player through component.

Here's my settings again. -

Movie

gamma Natural

D1 at 720p

Brightness for RGB all at minus 18

Contrast for RGB all at 171

When I left the Contrast RGB at factory 128 colors weren't perfect. There must be an inbetween setting that's better. Need some one with colorfacts and this combo.

What are you seeing?

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
I don't have that input -I use a software DVD with DVI -but I am sure you are running out of red at the higher IRE levels with those settings. I do use colorfacts.

Bring the Red contrast down to 156 and the blue and green contrast to 100 with the RGB brightness to a numer between -3 and +3..

Then set the CYM in the color correction using the AVIA blue, red, and green bars. The color level should be 2. Leave the RGB alone.

That should get you close. If you see good yellows you will know are better then you are now.

please note that the settings change as a function of bulb life.

Joel

·
Registered
12,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
" Then set the CYM in the color correction using the AVIA blue, red, and green bars. The color level should be 2. Leave the RGB alone."

Thanks, I'll take a look this evening. I'm a little worried about the RGB brightness though. With this Bravo the bright level shoots way up using the HT1000.

Seems Marantz owners aren't getting these high brights. They hardly have to change the basic picture settings.

·
Registered
12,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It would hv been nice if the D1 had a Darker/Lighter mode to better match different displays.

By the way I tested the component outs of the D1 to the HT1000 via a high end component to VGA cable. The picture was very good and black levels were normal. But analog isn't what I bought this player for. Still testing!

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
THe settigns I gave you are within 5 or so for dead on for the TT scoped readings via DVI.

If the birght level is off it is probably the player-but that is hard to belive isnce DVI is digital. Try it with the lower contrast settigns and see what you get. Remember you can not set red contrast too high-it flattens out at about 80 ire with your 171 setting.

Joel

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Could NEC give us more control over DVI signals with a firmware upgrade? I guess that might be difficult if brightness, contrast, etc. are done on analog signals before the final A>D conversion. Maybe a block diagram of the HT1000's inards might reveal whether this is possbile or not.

MIKE

·
Registered
12,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Joel, couldn't get the numbers to work. I've settled on leaving the RGB-Contrast at factory 128 and just using the RGB-Brightness to adjust Avia's brightness/black levels to the correct spot, which on my set up is RGB=brightness all at minus 17.

Saturation looks better now and yellows are yellow with no green, Reds are virbrant. I'd suggest anyone with an HT1000 and the Bravo D1 to just use Avia and adjust back the RGB-Brightness and get your blacks right, leave everything else alone.

I've been testing with the Oceans Eleven DVD which is noted for an excellent array of colors and everything looks as it should be.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Guitarman , so what's your verdict, how does it compare to your RP82 with 480p or your JVC on 480i,

Does the Bravo + DVI kick some serious ass ? should we run out an buy this player or is it just a marginal improvement to your other two set ups?

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
I am intrigued that the settings I gave you did not work. Were the colors off -or was there another problem. If it was the colors then the BARCO DVI is very different from the DVI out put from a HTPC.

What gamma are you using?

Leaving red a contrast 128 should be fine since you will clip red at the high end.

Joel

·
Registered
12,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Still testing but for right now I'd say the D1 has the edge. Oddly enough the colors are looking more accurate and the dissapearance of artifacts/dithering is growing on me. I like the smooth but still sharp picture of the D1. Like I said the edge is swinging toward the D1. But I still want to do alot more a/b testing.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Tom, so there's no clear "WOW" know your socks off improvment with the D1 / DVI vs. the RP82 or el cheapo JVC interlaced player. We're talking marginal imrpovements when you say it "has the edge"

·
Registered
12,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You won't notice a drastically better picture, just maybe 35.5 percent better. :)

Great is great and that's what we've been seeing all along with the HT1000.

·
Registered
12,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
"I am intrigued that the settings I gave you did not work. Were the colors off"

The colors were way off, picture went pale and magenta. Finally color aren't bad now with the last settings posted above. I've done many a/b tests between my analog setup and the DVI and colors are looking about the same.

·
Registered
12,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I know alot of people are having a hard time seeing a difference in the already high guality picture of the D1 for 480p & 1080i. Referring to the 1024X768 res of the HT1000.

I've done several a/b's on the same scenes of a DVD and examining the picture quality of 480p vs 1080i.

They both look extremely good but you will see a sharper picture using 1080i.

720p is out for the HT1000 it compresses the picture.

So Jim Noyd is right for 1024X768 use 1080i. It's still progressive scan (540p) no jaggies can be seen.

4.3 screen owners

Since I play 4.3 material alot (music videos) the D1 screen size s/b set to 4.3letterbox and on the HT1000 set aspect to V-Zoom. 16.9 dvd's usually start up with some 4.3 beginnings and then when the film starts they switch over to 16.9. This way you'll see things as intended.

Another member here graciously offered to bring colorfacts over to my house to setup a perfect grayscale. In a couple of weeks when it's done I'll post up the settings. I assume different screens will have different results, but any of you high power users stay tuned.

Hey where are all the HT1000 owners, didn't you guys buy the Bravo D1?

·
Banned
3,477 Posts
Guit man,

Adjusted D1 with Avia tonight on the NEC. I use a Grayhawk and my settings were close to your orignal one.

RGB brightness all at: -17

RGB contrast all at: 173

The bars were right on and a quick check of Monsters Inc looked good. Will do more checking tommorrow. The only thing I don't like is DVI has a minimum of 5% overscan.

Scott

·
Registered
12,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Scott, re using the white bars to adjust contrast, I'm not certain this is the best way to get a balanced greyscale.

Maybe someone can chime in on this. Since using DVI with the HT1000 pushes the brightness of the pictures way to high. Does it make sense to use Avia to just adjust the whites & blacks with the RGB/contrast and RGB/brightness since the basic brightness and contrast control is not available?

I can't wait until I can use colorfacts to pin down the best numbers for the D1 HT1000 combination.

Or I suppose I could bring the D1 & HT1000 over to William Phelps house and have him do a calibration for me. If colorfacts doesn't work out, that is what I'll probably do.

It bothers me being uncertain whether the grayscale is hosed or what.

The D1 does have killer potential.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.