AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You wanna know how well the D1 does with poorly flagged material. Just ran the Galaxy Quest opening sequence with the D1 set at 480p 720p & 1080i. With each setting the player failed. As the space ship flys by it's movement is jerky and full of jaggies.

I then swithed over to the JVC interlaced with the projector picking up the 2.3 pull down and the sequence is smooth and clear.

That's not saying the DVI signal isnt a great picture. I think it may be being a little fussy when you're worrying about poorly flagged DVD's as there really isn't many. But if you're a purist you might wait to see the Samsung.

Also still as the movie goes on if you compare the smoothness of the picture between the two setups, the digital image looks better to me. With Galaxy Quest it's just the opening sequence that's flagged poorly.

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
Tom,

Have you tried the direct DVI pass through mode? I don't remember what this one is called exactly, but it is the one after 1080i. I believe it is 480i (the original DVD data) and would indicate how the HT1000 deinterlaces over the DVI. I didn't notice differences with LOTR extended version.

--Darin

·
Registered
12,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok I just checked the gateway DVI and it failed also. The techs at NEC said when you use DVI the projectors deinterlacer is not available.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Yeah, I had the same trouble with the opening credits of The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (my favorite). The D1 running to my Hs10 had all sort of jaggies as the animation of the horses run onto the screen.

-Patrick

·
Registered
12,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have that dvd also, will check it out. My buddies in the Ramones used the theme song as their theme song. ;)

The poor flags are nothing big to worry about and DVD's with them are becoming dinosaurs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.