AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had the D1 recommended to me for connecting to a Z2 projector, but called Bravo today and found it was going to cost me a (relative) fortune to have it shipped to Canada... given I'm also reading about several people returning it, off the list it goes.

What are the other good lower end DVI-equipped dvd player options out there? Looks like the Samsung 931 is the other option... is this right? From what I've been reading the 4:3 stretch-fit-only seems more than a bit annoying...

My requirements are pretty basic (I think):
  • Must have DVI output (arungupta and others have me convinced!)
  • my PJ will be HDCP compliant
  • don't think I care about regions
  • Low cost!

That is pretty much it! Big apologies if this question gets asked a billion times... I'm doing an entire HT from scratch and am discovering I'm entirely unable to keep up on all the forums for all the fiddly bits involved, have a full-time job, have a life, and expect to get my HT in less than a year!! :)

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
I purchased the Samsung HD 931 about a month ago for $250 CDN (it's now back up to $499 though) but I was very disappointed with it and returned it. It provided greater detail than my Panasonic RP 82 480p DVD player but it crushed blacks and produced excessive grain. On top of that it had interlacing issues as well.

My advice to you would be to wait until April when Toshiba releases their unit that does 720p/1080i through HDMI and also supports SACD and DVD-A. I have no doubt that the Toshiba will be available through regular retail channels in Canada and it's MSRP is only $199 U.S. (which should translate to between $270 and $300 CDN).

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.