AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got a D50 to replace my 1252, and setup is going fine with one exception - the brightness & contrast controls have no effect on the image. Input is 5bnc, and ABL & dynamic picture are off. Any ideas?

Thanks,

·
Banned
2,582 Posts
using the RGB input is why they have no effect.

You need to make those adjustments at the source either line processor before the projector or computer.

What is before the projector?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Garry

You should have full control with Contrast and Brightness controls (see Attachment). Page 30 Operators Manual.

I run 5 BNC RGB and also Progressive Component (HDTV) and have always had control.

Its late at night here, I will think about it in the morning.

Richard

·
Registered
41 Posts
I've had 2 d50's with the same problem. It's an internal board problem, unfortunetly. The brightness and contrast should always work no matter what type of input it is.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Garry

You say you have Dynamic picture off, if you are in RGB mode you cannot access Dynamic picture.

Your setup should be:-

1. "Under set settings" 5 BNC = OFF (This is for switcher not input A)

2. "Under Input select" A selected

3. "Under set settings" Input A = RGB

4. "Under Input settings" Clamp = Auto

But as AVDG said you probably have a board problem.

Regards

Richard

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi 2 All,

Having almost the same problem here.

Brightness is not responding,counters on screen are responding but no effect at all, and Gain on Green and G2 on Green is not adjustable anymore. All other controls are responding normally.

Had the tubes replaced and after the replacement this fault occurred.

A technician from $ony responded with that i have to reset the software

so it will be in factory default. Can anyone confirm this, ore having other sugestions?

Greetings,

Ed

(The Netherlands)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Anyone ????

·
Registered
558 Posts
Wish I had something more positive to add, but on my D50 I always have contrast/brightness control regardless of the input.

As far as resetting the unit, the only way I know of to do that is to go into the service control mode and then press and hold the reset button - it will prompt after a few seconds to confirm that you want to reset all the values. If there is another lower level or hardware reset, I'm not aware of it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
If there is anyone out there who can shed more light on this, a response would be appreciated.

I have a new-to-me Sony D50Q with exactly this problem, and I'd like to know how it could be remedied.

In addition to the lack of effect of the brightness control, changing the contrast has a dramatic and non-linear effect on the color temperature (low settings turn everything green, high settings turn everything pink.)

My calibrator was able to get it to be 6500 K at one given contrast setting, but this was rather dim and and I have a sense that the tracking isn't what it should be.

Also, I can see horizontal smearing of anything white against a black background.

So far, this thread's consensus has been "board problem," but can anyone be more specific or give a ballpark estimation of what expense/complexity the repair will involve?

Thanks very much,

Bjorn

·
Registered
18,503 Posts
I'd say it's a problem on the 'A' board. This board is really hard to repair as it has piles of SMT devices on it, and you need the Sony extender boards to power up and service the board while it's in the set.

If one of you bought the D 50 from a reseller of projectors on eBay, I'm sending my only A board to him to send to you shortly. Other than that, I'm out of stock, sorry!

Curt

·
Registered
41 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Bjorn Thoresen
That's me!

Do you know if the contrast problems and streaking problems are all traceable to the same A-board problem?
Did you get the new board swapped in? And if so, did it fix your problems? I'm particularly interested in the streaking issue. Even though several projectors have this problem, I'm assuming new projectors didn't. So they're obviously some component thats showing wear.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.