AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you read my earlier posting, sorry for the confusion. My G70 is something I am not using in this house. I will sit on it for about a year till we get a new house. I looking for opions on which projector to use for my current house. Which is better, D50 or VPH 1272, it will stay with this house after the sale.

I am still getting my feet wet concerning CRT's and would appreciate some advice. I need to get rid of a couple projectors (wife). I have a D50 with 800 hrs with a soon to be added Sony internal line doubler EXB-DS10 and a VPH 1272 with 900 hrs. One of these will be replacing a VPH 1252 that has been very good to me. I watch DVD's on a Sony progessive scan player, Satellight, and just recently added off air HDTV signal shooting on a 120" screen thru a S-video feed. I have run a 5 connector BNC cable (40') from my Onkyo Receiver to the projector, but have not been able to use it. The projector hangs in open air 8' off the floor over the main couch. I also have a Extron system plus 8 switcher to start experimenting with :)

D50---Brighter, Quieter, HDTV ready, can make use of BNC's for Component hook-up with RCA adapters for the Onkyo end, will have line doubler.

VPH 1272---Larger CRT's, better scan rate, known to be very reliable.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
8,079 Posts
G70. No competition. :)

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_A_W
G70. No competition. :)
D50 = G70???

·
Registered
18,501 Posts
Frankly if you are going to keep the D 50, use a progressive signal into the component input, and forget about the line doubler. The D 50 is newer and smaller, but make darn sure the tubes are mint before you decided to keep it. Others have argued with me, but I've had short tube life out of those D 50 tubes compared to the 1272 tubes.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Curt, is the EXB really that bad? I paid a couple of hundred bucks for it thinking I could use it later on down the road in my G70.

Both the D50 and 1272 tubes show no sign of wear. Still favor the D50?

·
Registered
8,079 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GEBrown
D50 = G70???
If I had a G70, a D50 and a 1272 (read the 1st post carefully) there is no force on the planet that would prevent me using the G70.

The G70 is not that much bigger than a 1272, so that can't be the reason - the throw distance is broadly similar...I don't get it..

Letting it sit around while you use the 1272/D50 for a year......I don't understand why you wouldnt use the G70?????

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Why not use the G70.....The problem is my current set-up is in our living room and the projector is used A LOT. Wife, kids, relatives...Example, get up in the middle of the night and it's still running with someone asleep in front of it. Just trying to keep wasted hours off the G70 till I build a theater room.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.