AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone give me the rundown on the differences between the Da-Lite and Stewart microperfed screens? Is the price difference justified? Are the differences accoustic, or visual in nature (or both)?

And while I'm at it, is the proper positioning of the center channel worth the money for a first time home theater buyer shooting for a 10K budget. Accoustically transparent screens don't seem to be a hot topic of conversation, so I'm wondering if most people chose not to go that route.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So NO ONE has an opinion on Micro Perf screens? Perhaps the audio forum would be a more appropriate place for this subject?

·
Premium Member
4,827 Posts
Oh, but they *are* a hot topic--they generate flame wars to end all flame wars, usually. There's no one in the middle: you either love 'em or hate 'em. I have had people tell me that I'm a moron for going microperf--it would ruin my picture quality, it would kill the sound, etc. I disagree.

I have a Stewart microperf screen--100"x56" Ultramatte 1.5. I honestly believe that Stewart is the only way to go *if* you want to properly locate the center channel behind the screen. And that's a big if: you lose about 10% of your projector's light output, there *is* some high treble rolloff even with the THX approved microperf (which can be fixed using the included EQ unit), you have to protect against light "backsplash" (reflected ligth coming back through the screen) and you're going to pay a 100% premium for the microperf on average.

If your total HT budget is $10K, I don't see how you could pay for the microperf premium and still have enough money left over to cover the rest of your equipment. Quite simply, a decent sized Stewart microperf screen could eat up 30-40% of your total budget, which is way out of line.

·
Registered
27,143 Posts
Anyone know if Stewart will ever be able to microperf the Firehawk??

Jeff

·
Registered
835 Posts
I think it was mentioned that they will try micro-perfing the Firehawk sometime in the future when the tooling for the perfing machine is at the end of its life to see the effect that the metallic particles in the Firehawk will have on the tools.

Kam

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.