AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was planning on installing the Da-lite Tensioned Advantage Electerol screen with a Pearlescent surface for our entertainment room. However, I have what may be a stupid question I was hoping to get some collective wisdom on.

The screen would have to be mounted perpendicular to the ceiling studs in the room. That would make sense to me for a surface mount install of an electric screen, suspending the screen casing from the closest studs to the mounting brackets. However, what about a screen that is mounted flush with the ceiling drywall. Would I have to essentially cut roughly a 1ft piece out of the ceiling studs to fit the screen in? If so, what would the screen be secured to? My additional problem of course is that I have a second story right above the screen, so I wouldn't want to have it come crashing down as I cut the studs underneath it. Basically, I am not sure if this is possible to do, and would like to hear any experiences any has had on this topic.

Thanks to all as always!

·
Registered
9,755 Posts
Under no circumstances should you cut into the ceiling joists in that manner. Your worst fears would become reality in short order.

Building code in most areas would prohibit doing such an install. What would be required if you really had to do this would be for each one you removed you would have to add one back in on the ends of the opening and then bridge the opening with another header beam on each side of the opening. There would be other considerations also but it would be close to what you do when you make an opening for a stairway.

In some cases if you are only removing part of a joist you could then sister short joists on both side of the notched one that would put the strength back in. how many and how long would have to be determined by a qualified builder.

Steel plates could also be used in some cases.

It can be done but not easy or cheap.

A better method (safer and more cost effective) would be to build some cornice or false beam or something that would fit astatically. And hide the screen up in that.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea, I had a feeling that might be a bad idea, but thanks for confirming. I am battling the benefits of a projection system (where I'm coming from), with the aesthetics of a projection system (where my better half is coming from). She wasn't particularly hot on the electric surface mount screen plus the fixed mount projector (even though that's the cheapest setup), so I am trying to build a system that will work for both of us.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
314 Posts
I agree with the previous poster that cutting into the trusses would be neither easy nor cheap. A soffit/false beam/cornice would be your best bet to hide the screen.

I am in the same boat as you are. I wanted a FP setup very badly in our greatroom but my wife wanted a clean, aestheticallly pleasing install. So I just had a 110" ceiling recessed Da-Lite screen and Draper Microprojector lift installed in my new home. Fortunately my trusses run parallel to the screen and I have a small amount of attic space to work with.

When you decide to move forward with your purchase I highly recommend Tryg or Jason here at AVS for their service and prices on the screen and lift.

The Draper lift and Da-Lite screen are awesome! Very high tech look when they descend/ascend from the ceiling. The build quality on both of these products is top notch for the price paid.

Now I can't wait for the JVC pj to arrive!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by guptown /forum/post/0

I agree with the previous poster that cutting into the trusses would be neither easy nor cheap. A soffit/false beam/cornice would be your best bet to hide the screen.

I am in the same boat as you are. I wanted a FP setup very badly in our greatroom but my wife wanted a clean, aestheticallly pleasing install. So I just had a 110" ceiling recessed Da-Lite screen and Draper Microprojector lift installed in my new home. Fortunately my trusses run parallel to the screen and I have a small amount of attic space to work with.

When you decide to move forward with your purchase I highly recommend Tryg or Jason here at AVS for their service and prices on the screen and lift.

The Draper lift and Da-Lite screen are awesome! Very high tech look when they descend/ascend from the ceiling. The build quality on both of these products is top notch for the price paid.

Ok, now I am very jealous!! I was actually looking at the Chief SL-236 Projector Lift as it only requires 11" above the ceiling drywall along with the ceiling recessed Da-lite screen. I have read great things about the JVC RS1 if that's what your referring to, but I think I'm going to stick with the Pearl. I have read some reviews that favor the JVC RS1 over the Pearl, but I can get an employee discount on the Pearl

I still have a couple of challenges with the projector lift as many of the installation manuals I have reviewed required clearance above the ceiling studs (or joists as I guess they are properly called) which I don't have with a 2nd story sitting on top. I can't imagine I'm the first person that wants to hide a projector in the ceiling with a 2nd story on top, but maybe!!

The only other projector option I thought of is a wall installation. At the opposite end of the room where the screen would be installed, we have a storage closet that goes under our stairs. The double closet doors are about 4 feet high. Above the ceiling of the closet is the landing (or halfway point) of the stairs leading up to the updstairs bedroom. With some contractor help, I thought it might be possible to create a pocket big enough for a projector in that space between the ceiling of the closet and the floor of the landing. I could make some sort of metal screen door/access panel on the ceiling of the close that could open up to get access to the projector, while also providing ventilation for projector. The front of the pocket would have optical glass that is flush with the wall drywall just above the closet doors. I think this would be a great position for the projector if it was possible, as the projector will be just about in the middle of the screen. There is a light fixture in the closet already, so an electrician might be able to tap into that power source to wire an outlet in the pocket for the projector. Does this sound doable to anyone? If someone knows an easy way to post pictures to this website, please let me know and I will post what I am talking about.

Thanks again for your help!

·
Registered
142 Posts
I had the same situation (perpendicular joists), but I had a recessed ceiling so it was easier for me than drywall to get at the ceiling studs. I have a manual screen so I didn't need to go above the joists, but I'll just share with you what I did and my thoughts if it helps.

Either it was easy for my situation, or I just got lucky; with a whole lot of staring at the joists, a whole lot more of measuring, I wound up getting it centered by socking down a 'nailer' (2x8 piece with 4 wood screws a piece) on either side of the joists to get the right (close enough) width of the eye hole/hooks on the screen. Then I used hooks, chain, and clips all rated for double the weight of my screen.

As far as the joists, definitely do not cut into them. I'd say with your drywall, get a drywall bit, draw a rough rectangle 1 inch wider than the screen all around, cut it out, hang the screen (get it in REAL tight) and then buy some trim and glue it to the drywall making a nice trim fit. Just an idea...

Mine is tight to the recessed ceiling tiles and it doesn't look at all like an eyesore...

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpomp /forum/post/0

As far as the joists, definitely do not cut into them. I'd say with your drywall, get a drywall bit, draw a rough rectangle 1 inch wider than the screen all around, cut it out, hang the screen (get it in REAL tight) and then buy some trim and glue it to the drywall making a nice trim fit. Just an idea...

Mine is tight to the recessed ceiling tiles and it doesn't look at all like an eyesore...

Very insteresting idea. It sounds as if you are almost describing recessed flourescent kitchen lights with moulding around them-- or at least that's the idea. Is that the idea you were shooting for? When you lay the moulding around the hole, is the hole still visible in any way? Are the joists visible? If there is any way you could post or send a pick that would be great.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Mounting the pj in a closet in the back of the room sounds like a great idea. Just like a movie theater! You can also place your video equipment in this closet to have everything concealed. The contractor/electrical work wil probably be less than a lift.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenkriege /forum/post/0

I still have a couple of challenges with the projector lift as many of the installation manuals I have reviewed required clearance above the ceiling studs (or joists as I guess they are properly called) which I don't have with a 2nd story sitting on top. I can't imagine I'm the first person that wants to hide a projector in the ceiling with a 2nd story on top, but maybe!!

The only other projector option I thought of is a wall installation. At the opposite end of the room where the screen would be installed, we have a storage closet that goes under our stairs. The double closet doors are about 4 feet high. Above the ceiling of the closet is the landing (or halfway point) of the stairs leading up to the updstairs bedroom. With some contractor help, I thought it might be possible to create a pocket big enough for a projector in that space between the ceiling of the closet and the floor of the landing. I could make some sort of metal screen door/access panel on the ceiling of the close that could open up to get access to the projector, while also providing ventilation for projector. The front of the pocket would have optical glass that is flush with the wall drywall just above the closet doors. I think this would be a great position for the projector if it was possible, as the projector will be just about in the middle of the screen. There is a light fixture in the closet already, so an electrician might be able to tap into that power source to wire an outlet in the pocket for the projector. Does this sound doable to anyone? If someone knows an easy way to post pictures to this website, please let me know and I will post what I am talking about.

Thanks again for your help!

Attached are some pictures of the situation I am describing. Hopefully you can see them, is this my first time trying to attach files.

The first picture is where I was plannig on installing the screen. I will use the big screen at the bottom of the picture as a guide to center the screen install. The second picture is the view from approximately where the projector would be, projecting towards the TV. The third picture is looking toward the back of the room at the leaning dead center against the big screen. Note both the ceiling fan (also not an option to move) as well as the closet doors behind the couch. In between the top of the closet doors and below the beach picture is where I thought the pocket idea in the wall might be executed.

I welcome all advice as always!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:

Mounting the pj in a closet in the back of the room sounds like a great idea. Just like a movie theater! You can also place your video equipment in this closet to have everything concealed. The contractor/electrical work wil probably be less than a lift.

Yea, I was thinking it would be a good place for the equipment as well and I loved the thought of the "authentic movie theater" concept. The wife didn't know hidden components plus an RF extender was a possibility, but she sure is holding on tight now that she knows we can tuck the components away! My only problem is that I pulled all the wiring for the speakers in the other rooms to the current location of my distro amp (and where all the components are currently located). Thus, I would have to re-wire all that to the closet to make the install clean (ugh!!!).

What kind of contrator would you recommend for something like this? A General Contractor, or more of an A/V Contractor, CEDIA member type? Have anyone in mind that servers the Los Angeles area? Trying not to break the bank here, but willing to spend some money to do the job right.

Thanks again for the advice, now I just have to figure out how to mount the screen!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:

The great minds of the AVS forum have given me another idea for my projector besides the lift that I would like to talk to Tryg or Jason about, as well as options for a screen (turns out ceiling recessed won't work due to perpendicular joists). What is the best way to get a hold of them?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:

stevenkriege,

Here ya go...

Tryg Hoff

Sales - Reviews

A/V Science Inc.

360-280-7077 (M-F 5-9 PST, Wkds)
[email protected]

Jason C. Turk

Sales and Installations

A/V Science, Inc.

315-538-9806
[email protected]

Great, Thanks. I contacted Jason via email yesterday with a pretty lengthy description of my challenges with the projection room along with some pics. Hopefully I can work with him to get some ideas on what to do.

·
Registered
59 Posts
The closet idea sounds good.

In case you need to look further on ceiling install, Draper makes a lift that fits between standard ceiling joists. It's the Aero Lift. You can find it on their website. Look under lifts/mounts, then projector lifts.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.