AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I realize there are an awful lot of folks who know more about screens here than I would ever even care to know. These are just some quick impressions from a layperson.

My friend and I both ordered Da-Lite Cinemavision screens from AV Science to use with our Infocux X1s in conjunction with HTPCs. We were leaning toward ordering the Stewart Firehawks and building our own frames but the price jump was just too high.

We both stuck with 4:3 aspect rations since the X1 has a native resolution of 800x600 and both of our walls had more room to spare on the vertical than the horizontal anyway.

He has a bit deeper room than I did so he ordered the 92x69 while I stuck with the standard 80x60. We got the cheaper snap on frames with the screens. One surprise for us was that the screens are not exactly 4:3. Apparently that's a bonus you get for moving up to the frames that wrap the top and bottom. This is irritating to me but not crucial since I just barely don't reach the edges in my projection anyway.

One other surprise was that while the 80x60 came in four simple pieces to form a frame, the larger unit came in six. This gave the larger frame less rigidity. I'm very happy with the build quality of my frame but my coworker is a little disappointed and is thinking of doing an extra bolt closer to the middle of the top and bottom to prevent some slight apparent bowing.

The snaps work fine and don't look as bad as you might think. The material is dark enough that it becomes a non-issue at night and I'd not like to pay more to get a nicer looking frame that functions identically. There is some amount of work to snapping it on similar to putting a fitting a bedsheet that has slightly shrunk in the wash--no big deal, though and well worth the effort.

The detail and color of the screen look great and it handles ambient light well. I actually prefer some amount of ambient light in the room as it makes me less likely to break my neck on something and seems to stress my eyes less. Direct light is still a bad idea, however.

I haven't had the luxury of doing any AB comparrison but I have gotten to subjectively see the Stewart Greyhawk and Stewart Firehawk reflecting the light from the $12k Marantz projector. This is certainly the set up I'd own instead of my own with unlimited income, but I think the spot I've hit with the Infocus and Da-Lite is a much sweeter spot in terms of price/performance and overall, I'd rather spend money on an HTPC or video processor than trying on a better screen or projector.

·
Registered
130 Posts
so you got the HCCV screen? What kind of frame? Did it come with any masking on the frame?

and how much did the 80x60 set you back (if it's kosher to ask such questions here)?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.