AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just read on the Da-Lite web site that the Cosmopolitan Electrol can be stopped at any position to accommodate "a wide range of screen formats". Does anyone out there have one of these and is this true? If so, this implies that these screens do not need horizontal masking since you can, in effect, make the screen height anything you want (i.e., 1.77, 1.85, or 2.35) just by raising or lowering the screen.

I am VERY interested to know if this is true because this was a big concern I had in going with a pull-down.

[edit] If this is true, does it also apply to the Tensioned Cosmo Electrol and the Tensioned Contour Electrol? Granted, the case will be hidden in my setup, so the styling on the Contour is not that big of a deal to me.

Thanks!

·
Banned
6,051 Posts
If you have a control where you can make it stop and go, you can have it stop in any position you want. That is not the problem. The problem is having it automatically stop in predesigned spots. I know that Stewart has this feature by adding a special motor to it. I would imagine that Dalite has the same feature

·
Registered
801 Posts
I have a DAlite Cosmo operating via Cretsron control. Now, the add on motor from Dalite works just fine adn after a bit of trial and error for duration of Up or Down from different states and someprogramming-there is no need to tweak the amount of dropdown I need for a certain AR-they are preset. There are the inherent non-rs232 feedback issues in this system, of course.

Now, Dalite is offering an rs232 control on certain screens-per my call to them a month or so ago. That would possibly be of some benefit, depending on feedback over IR.

Thankyou very much

Fury

BTW If interested in the Crestron application for this-send me an email directly.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So, in essence, there is nothing in the screen or the screen motor that forces it to be either fully opened or completely closed, right? If I were to just use the rocker switch, I could just hold it down until I wanted it to stop? I know that is not ideal, but if it is an option, it might save $500 on the special Da-lite motor, allowing me to upgrade to it later.

Is this correct?

·
Banned
6,051 Posts
Exactly. If you have a 12v control out, you are out of luck as its either up or down. If you have for example a walls switch with up, down and stop, then you are all set

·
Registered
801 Posts
Hi Like No,

I would run some cat5 from the likely motor mount site to your proposed or to be proposed equipment rack-for future use.

Fury

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi All,

I am trying to gain an understanding of these issues. So, for the dalite, the only way to control how much screen is lowered is to program your IR control, to lower the screen for X amt of seconds? The other way is the ISC and they give you a HTML page that you can use to raise or lower it?

I don't understand the part about the screen not needing horizontal masking, If you lowered the screen part of the way to accomodate a certain aspect ratio, you have the black border on the bottom but wouldnt the top of the image be kind of messed up?

Also can software DVD players be programmed to line up the top of the image with the top of the screen for the various aspect ratios?

Thanks!

·
Registered
73 Posts
I do this now with my wall switch. My screen is 4:3 but when watching 16:9 or 2.35:1 I roll it up, using the wall switch, to get rid of the bottom of the screen.

The problem you still have is the gain of the material above the image is distracting. I'm trying to think up a solution for a shade or drop-down masking system but have not found a solution yet.

You can move the image up or down if you have the space in your pj (raster on crt). I'm not sure how this degrades the life of the pj however. In my particular setup it would move the image way to high up for normal viewing however.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I have the 120V control on my Cosmo. It has a up, down, and stop positions. With it, I can stop the screen at any point in its travel up or down.

Andrew

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
I have the 120V control on my Cosmo. It has a up, down, and stop positions. With it, I can stop the screen at any point in its travel up or down.
This is the standard control that comes with the screen, right? I just got a Pronto TSU3000 this weekend, so I might consider the IR controller, although I do not know yet if there is a way to tell Pronto "press this button (i.e., issue this IR command) for x number of seconds".

Quote:
The problem you still have is the gain of the material above the image is distracting. I'm trying to think up a solution for a shade or drop-down masking system but have not found a solution yet.
Couldn't you hang some permanent masking material that is the height of the extra dropdown provided by the screen? In this way, you would have a permanent mask at the top of the screen, but when you want to use the full screen, the permanent mask is only masking the dropdown, so no screen area lost.

·
Registered
73 Posts
That solves part of it but there is actually more screen between the top of the image and the ceiling when watching 16:9 or 2.35:1 then the current masking portion of the screen when fully down at 4:3.

That would help through, hmmmmm

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Do you have your picture aligned with the top of the screen? If so, then what I am suggesting is that when you watch 16:9 or 2.35:1, only lower your screen enough so that the image is fully on the screen. In other words, you have a constant mask at the top that is the height of the extra dropdown, the top of the image is aligned at the bottom of the mask, regardless of aspect ratio, then, just lower the screen to fit the AR of the material you are watching.

Wouldn't that work?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Understood.

The picture is aligned in the middle of the screen for 4:3. When watching anything greater (or is that less?) then 4:3 then I get the letterbox effect.

Moving the image up would not work as people would break their necks trying to watch a 2 hour movie. I wouldn't mind moving the picture down but this could potentially damage my crt projector if I'm not careful. So, for now, I leave it in the middle, move the screen up to get rid of the bottom, still search for a way to mask the top.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If might be cheesy, but you could attach some velcro to the screen casing, then cut different size masks for the different ARs. Then, just attach the appropriate mask as needed.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.