AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please help! I've decided to buy a Panasonic L300u. I have decided to buy a 92" diagonal screen (16x9; I think the dimensions are 45" x 80" without the frame). I have more room, but that size is the MAWL (maximum acceptable wife limit). This will go in my basement, which will be a multi-purpose room - there are two windows close by, but not much light get's in and I'll mostly watch at night and have blinds and cutains. I read a review (I forgot which magazine it was in) comparing the two, and the reviewer (yes, I know they are always subjective and depend on many factors) liked the grey screen better for the darker blacks and more saturated colors. I plan on running the bulb on low to 1. save bulb life; 2. have a quieter fan and 3. have the best black levels, so I thought the HCCV would be better - also because I will want to watch some on week-ends and may need the extra gain or to turn up the bulb to medium. The Da-Lite rep. thought the HCCV screen is better for the L300u.

Can anyone give me advice? Can I run the projector on low with the Grey screen? Is the picture on the Grey screen much better because of the increased black level and color saturation - or is it only a slight difference? And finally, is the fabric cover (pro-something) worth the money?

Thanks!

Thanks!

·
Registered
776 Posts
High Contrast DaMat is very dark and is best suited to very bright PJs. Unless black level is your number one priority I wouldn't recommend it for your L300. You might want to get screen samples & see for yourself.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The High Contrast Cinema Vision has a gain of 1.1 and is not supposed to be dark. The grey one - High Contrast Grey - is too dark. So are you in agreement that the HCCV is the right one, or would you have another suggestion.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
I tested my 300U on a matte white sheet (zero gain?), while waiting for my HCCV screen (actually a light gray). I can't confirm or deny Home Theater's comparison (I read it too), but I can tell you that the HCCV material works brilliantly in my set up. I'd "calibrated" my projector to the sheet, and made a mental note of the settings. On the HCCV screen, the brightness setting is the only one that changed measurably. I mean, it went waaaay down (from -4 to -14), using the Video Essentials Pluge pattern. That is with the 300's lamp on low, in Cinema 1 mode.

How does that answer your question? It tells me that I would have ample brightness in reserve if/when I ever need it. Had I purchased the HCDM, I may have actually had to bump up the brightness a bit (that's purely a guess on my part based on the negative gain). In your situation, with some ambient light (I have none), You'd have plenty of room for adjusting to high/low ambient light conditions. The black-level did improve modestly from the sheet to the HCCV, but in either case, it was fine for me. The colors are quite a bit more vivid now, so I'm having trouble with HT's findings that they could be that much improved with the HCDM.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
I would go with the straight cinema vision which has a higher gain of 1.3. It is almost the same color as the hccv. You'll love it.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Can you please tell me why you recommend that one?

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
I cannot speak for the grey screens or the regular cinema vision, but I have seen a 300U projected onto about a 90 inch wide HCCV and the result was very impressive. It was ceiling mounted in a basement with similar lighting conditions to what you are planning. In low power mode, it could have stood to be a little brighter for my taste, but was still very enjoyable. Since you are planning for a screen with 30% less area to illuminate, I am confident that you would be happy with it.

As far as perceived black levels, you might want to seriously consider painting the walls a dark color in the end of the room near the screen if the wife-approval-factor will permit it. I think you will find it makes a noticeable difference in your the perceived contrast level.

Ryan

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.