AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to get the Da-Lite Deluxe Insta-Theater HDTV (16:9) 90-inch screen. It will be used with either an Optoma H27 or H31. I would really llike some feedback as to the quality of this screen? Is it subject to waves?

Thanks for any comments!

·
Registered
971 Posts
I have the Theater-Lite, which is the same thing without the nifty lifting mechnism. I have been using it for almost a year now. There are no problems with waves. The left and right edges tend to curl slightly, but the curling seems to be restricted to the black matte area and doesn't affect the viewing area. Also, the screen is easily affected by air movement, so keep it out from under ceiling fans and A/C vents, the air movement can cause it to ripple (not permanent, just with air blowing over it).

RG

·
Registered
12,276 Posts
These are excellent units. I have one myself. As with any nontensioned screens they can wave a bit, but since this is a pullup version, and the roller is at the bottom, you don't tend to get them in the viewable area.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I have the 80 inch Da-lite theater lite and have been very happy with it. No problems yet. I agree with everything Rick had to say. The biggest problem is air movement. Even slowly walking by the screen will cause it to flutter. Still I would highly recommend it and it looks cool.

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
I that the largest 80" wide (92" diag. 16:9 or 100" diag 4:3)

It's about as cool as you could imagine. Light, sleek, purpose built and the screen material is a nice 2.2 gain angular reflective material that has a nice wide viewing cone with no texture. ( I measured 1.8 gain actually)

If you can't put in a permanent solution and can live with 80" wide then I highly recommend it.

My only problem is that I would really like 92" wide.

Ken

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry, I meant it is 90 inch diag - 78 inch wide. Bigger would certainly be awesome, but in my area the 78 will be more than enough. I pulled the trigger and ordered it today!

I will be building a custom entertainment unit that will incorporate the pull up screen in front of a 36-inch TV (the PJ is strictly for DVDs, and I don't have HDTV - yet). I needed the pull-up model because I can't have a wall screen, and I wouldn't like the looks of a ceiling mount in my room. This way I can have all my components in shelves in the bottom of the stand, including the center channel, and the screen will sit in a pull-out drawer the TV. Should be cool when I get it done, if it turns out as I plan!! I need the screen before I can proceed with construction though.

After that, the PJ....

·
Registered
25 Posts
I bought the 73" widescreen Insta-theater from Cousins Video. They had a great price, and fast delivery. I am very impressed with the quality of the white screen. I am currently using it in my bedroom, while I am using the Graywolf in the living room with my Optoma Movietime projector.

The mechanism that moves the screen up and down is very smooth and is very easy to move with little effort. The screen is very thin though, and I hope it can last for awhile.

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ximori
Ken, this is a gray screen, correct? I wonder how the colors look compared to the Graywolf...
No, the WidePower material in the InstaTheater is white. The only fabric available unless it changed very recently.

Ken

·
Registered
971 Posts
It says 2.3, but I agree with Ken's assessment. It's more like 1.5-1.8. I put this up against some high power fabric and it wasn't even close (within the high power's cone, of course). However, the image intensity does not drop off like a high-power either. It looks as bright from 45° as it does from straight on.

RG

·
Registered
1 Posts
Would a center channel speaker postioned behind the mask below the screen be too muffled? Judging by the pictures I've seen of this screen, the mask appears very thin. Does anyone here have any experience with this set-up?

·
Registered
971 Posts
The mask below the screen is not only thin, but it is perforated. I haven't actually tried it, but I imagine it would not hurt the sound too badly. It certainly won't muffle it to the point of annoyance (IMO)

RG

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by loysjohn
Would a center channel speaker postioned behind the mask below the screen be too muffled? Judging by the pictures I've seen of this screen, the mask appears very thin. Does anyone here have any experience with this set-up?
Put it on a stand and some distance away from the perforated black section of the screen on the bottom and shouldn't be much difference if any. I ran with just left and right behind the non-perforated area of the screen and as long as the speaker was about 6" back it sounded ok. Very nice mechanism and clam shell on the Deluxe.

My only complaints with the Wide Power are there is some hotspotting and in a room with lightly colored walls and ceilings the highly reflective screen really lights up the room.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, I just received the 78 inch (90 diag). I haven't done any testing yet as I do not yet have a PJ, but I have a demo lined up.

However, I am not sure I am terribly impressed... the screen is indeed very thin. But the real issue I have is that the outer edges (about 2 inches worth) curl forward. I'm pretty sure that will make the picture look like crap. Does anyone know if there is some kind of adjustment, like a tensioning, that can be made? I couldn't find anything on the Da-Lite site. I think I will send them an email.

If that can't be resolved then it will have to go back - with a 15% restocking charge :mad:

·
Registered
971 Posts
The curling is typical. Unless you have a ton more than me, it doesn't have a notable effect on the picture. On mine, the curling is all in the matte area.

RG

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Mine also curls on the black matte edges on the sides and never notice it on the picture.

I've heard some complaints with waves on other pulldown screens that are visible on the picture so you may want to keep the Instatheater until you evaluate an alternative at least within the return period.

·
Registered
243 Posts
How would this screen be in a non- light controlled room at night with an Optoma H79? The room has lite walls and white ceiling.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
I have this screen for about 2 years with a NEC 1000. It has worked fine and enabled us to use an older CRT for news etc that sits behind the screen. I cut three poles to crrect lengths so set is is easy after I take it down.

I have NHT towers and they are to the left and right of the screen with the center on the TV above it. The center speaker is partailly occllued. I set the center gain up 3db to take care of that.

Souns is fine in the room.

The Nec is on a small table behind our couch.

Joel

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.