AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me if they think the Stewart Firehawk will be noticably better for black levels and gain? The gain on paper is more...1.35 vs. 1.1. The raw screen material uncoated is .35 vs. .8 as I understand it, which also adds to black levels. Thoughts?

·
Registered
82 Posts
I tried both with the same projector, full size screen.

epson TW100 at 2x screen width.

I did not like the Firehawk, too much hotspotting.

You really need a long throw projector with that screen,

the L300 is really short throw. I am using HCCV now.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think I'm getting the Panny L300u, which is less bright than the TW100. So I wonder if the Friewark is better for that pj than the Epson - less hotspotting. Thoughts?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Just my thought which admittedly completely doesn't address your question :)

It sounds like you don't have the PJ yet. If that's true, I would seriously consider just grabbing some fabric and trying things out for awhile. I was incredible surprised at:

1) How good the image looked on a peice of 40% discounted vinyl with creases all over it that I stapled to a 2x4 and hung off my existing entertainment center. Granted, know I am also looking for a perm. replacement (also have 300u)

2) How off my calculations were on actual image size. There's a bunch of reason for this - where the PJ ended up wasn't 100% where I expected it due to wiring etc.

IMHO, the screen should be the last piece, once everything else is up and running.

-Mike

·
Registered
617 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by PlasmicMike
Just my thought which admittedly completely doesn't address your question :)

It sounds like you don't have the PJ yet. If that's true, I would seriously consider just grabbing some fabric and trying things out for awhile.

IMHO, the screen should be the last piece, once everything else is up and running.

-Mike
what he said!!!! never work by the calculations alone. NEVER NEVER NEVER

get the pj and hang a sheet for awhile

rob

·
Registered
617 Posts
oh, and I don't know the lumens on a marantz ?2 projector but it was short throw and didn't hotspot when I saw it. It looked nice but I didn't watch a bright movie so maybe I don't know jack.

was the bright pj set for 'brightest' pic or cinema or whatever?? what movie hotspotted?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.