AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my new Contour Da-lite HCDM. I really like the aluminum frame and their snap system (Grommets). Do you think I can adapt a different screen material (Firehawk, Silverstart, etc) to this frame or I have to stay with Da-lite Materials?

· Banned
6,047 Posts
Its possible to go to another company screen material, but very hard since the snaps location for one company is not the same for another. When you order from Stewart a new material for an old frame, they will request that serial number of the frame so that they can match the snaps perfectly. If Stewart needs a serial number to get a perfect fit for one of their own screens, you can imagine the difficulty it would be to get another company's material to fit correctly

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think it makes sense. I will try to exchange the HCDM for HCCV with Da-lite. I do not know if the will do that and if there is a stocking fee. Unfortunately you do not know how a screen material it will look until you try it.

I kind of like this material but it will work better with a more powerful projector; I will guess more that 2000 lumens.

Right now I have to use the STANDARD mode without any filter, with CINEMA BLACK turned off, BLACK LEVEL set to LOW, and I am afraid that with the time as the PJ gets older it will get worse.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just set it up last night, The constrast it is really good but I just look too dark sometimes.

What Kind of settings do you use with your Hi-power.

· Registered
19 Posts
On the issue about interchangeability between manufacturers Draper, Da-Lite and Stewart are all different standards. With Draper you do not have to have a serial number in order to get a new surface that will fit your existing frame.

With our new Onyx, we don't even use snaps and it assembles in about a tenth of the time as our other (or competitors') fixed screens. Just food for thought.

· Registered
1,589 Posts
I have the cinema filter on, cinema black mode ON, and the Dave Bosewell's low settings for W/B levels.

The image is bright and very punchy and not at all too "dark".

Do a search on the HS10 and Hi Power, you will read almost all positive reviews.

-D

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was just told by Da-lite that I cannot use the HI-POWER screen with the frame that I have (CONTOUR). Also they do not recommend this material for my setting, which is a controlled lighting room.

But in the other hand it makes sense to set up this PJ (HS10) with CINEMA BLACK - ON and use the CINEMA FILTER. I would think it gives you a bright image, bright color and decent black levels.

· Registered
125 Posts
Yomero,

What size is your screen? The reason I ask is because we do offer the Cinema Contour with the HP fabric in the smaller sizes. Perhaps your screen is too big for that particular material and that is why the Sales Partner told you it was not available. Also, keep in mind that the HP fabric is retro-reflective. That means that if your projector is ceiling mounted you will not get the true benefit of the material. For the projector you have the HCCV should give you the benefit you are looking for. It will allow you to calibrate the projector to true 6500 degree K and provide excellent color reproduction and enhanced contrast in the picture. Remember the brightest picture is not always the best. A good balance between good whites and good black detail should be the ultimate goal in any projection display. (i.e. be able to produce the proper gray-scale)

Thanks,

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My screen size: 92x52

Projector: Sony VPL-HS10

Distance PJ to Screen: 13.5'

Viewing Distance: 14'

PJ height: 90"

Like I said before I like the contrast that this screen provides but sometimes it looks to dark. I’m going to get some bigger samples of HCCV and CV and I am going to compare. Also I have not calibrated my HS10 for this screen (HCDM).

Does anybody know a simple way of calibrating the HS10 for a HCDM?

· Registered
213 Posts
Blake-

I just picked up an Epson TW100 and was told the HCCV would be an excellent match for it. Have a very controlled light situation. Thought about the Firehawk but they seem to price themselves out of many markets. I received some samples from Da-Lite but it is tough to get a good feel with 4X5" swatches. Any thoughts as to what else you would recommend, or does that sound like a winner??

Jeff

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.