AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Da-Lite High Power screen. I've tried it with a Thumpered Plus UP1100 and a Sharp M10S (NEC LT85 semi-clone).

In both cases it seems to affect the black level in a non-positive way. I've noticed some are using this screen with the NEC LT150. How do you feel it affects black level and contrast?

Steve

------------------
Steve's Stuff

·
Registered
733 Posts
Steve,

I've tried the LT150 with the Hipower, blockout material and a homemade grey sreen - 1/3, 1/3, 1/3 for viewing. I could just look across the screen to see how the different screens effected "blacks" contrast and colour. The blockout and homemade grey screen had better "blacks". The blockout material retained reasonable punch and good colour. The homemade screen had the best "blacks" but lacked punch and the colours weren't nearly as good. I thought the contrast wasn't as good either.

If you border your screen with black material (floating borders) so that no part of the black bars generated by he projector are showing you will enhance your perceived black level considerably. I haven't seen the LT150 with a Grayhawk so I can't comment, however, the Hipower works very well with the LT150 - great colour, great punch with good contrast and blacks (yes, there's some compromise) - that's what life seems to be all about!

Cheers,

Grant

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I like the High Power for watching cable and sport, so what I think I'll do is set up a separate DIY masked 16:9 screen underneath it (I have a pull down).

When I watch cable I'll use the High Power. When I have full light control to watch DVD, I'll simply roll up the Da-Lite and use a matt matted widescreen screen.

Steve

------------------
Steve's Stuff

·
Registered
132 Posts
Is it true that the hi-power can only be used effectively with a floor mounted projector?

Grant, have you compared the hi-power with a white Da-lite low gain screen using the lt150?

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
To get the full effect the projector needs to be below your eye level.

Steve

------------------
Steve's Stuff

[This message has been edited by Steve Dodds (edited 06-11-2001).]

·
Registered
733 Posts
James,

The Hipower works for both my ceiling mounted projector and the floor mounted LT150. The simple test is to place your eyes (head) next to the projector and view the screen and then view the screen from your seated position - any lose of brightness? If so, then you need to remedy the situation - with a ceiling mounted projector I would lower it, if necessary. I would just invert the projector onto a shelf suspended from the ceiling (chains so you can adjust the height when experimenting). I don't think the LT150 will have a problem when ceiling mounted and projected onto the Hipower since it throws an image at quite an angle.

I have both the Hipower and a lower gain Da-lite white screen - 1) the LT150 seems best suited to a "white" screen and 2) the Hipower is the best screen I have seen this projector with - lots of "punch".

This idea certainly isn't mine, but I wish it was! Buy a custom-made black light blocking blind (custom-sizing) with a pulley chain for adjusting its height incrementally - this will work as an adjustable border for the top of your screen - different aspect ratios, who cares. For the bottom border you can use the adjustable brackets for shelving and use metal tubing with your black curtain hanging from it - this gives you a floating border at the bottom. For the sides just use black curtains. This will increase perceived blacks and contrast dramatically and works incredibly well with a projector that already has very good blacks and contrast, like the LT150 (and every other projector as well)! When you see the difference this makes you'll understand what I'm talking about.

Once you've squeezed every ounce of performance out of your projector it's now time to squeeze every ounce out of your room. The room and projector have a symbiotic relationship.

The room makes or breaks the illusion you intend to create.

Cheers,

Grant

·
Registered
4,321 Posts
Just curious, has anyone tried the Da-Mat High Contrast (Gray) Screen?

Kei Clark

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.