AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at a 52 by 92 Da-lite screen (probably hi-power), and I'm wanting to build a large wall unit, and put my centre channel and equipment below the screen. I want to mount the screen in a valence that would be part of the unit itself. I'm wondering which housing would be better? Me n' the missus don't have kids, so CSR isn't necessary. I've also heard one of these has adjustable stops for various A/R's. Any thoughts? Thanks :)

·
Banned
6,051 Posts
Neither the B or the C has adjustable stops. However, you can stop it after a turn of the roller which may or may not be the exact place you want it to stop. CSR is not for children but to create a controlled return of the screen. The Model C has a bigger case about six inches and the Model B is somewhere between 2 and 3 inches. I am not sure based on size, which would work well with your situation. I would normally always suggest the Model C as it is made for HT and has less problems than the Model B when it comes to waves and or wrinkles. However, as the hipower is less suseptible to those problems, you could probably go with the Model B

·
Registered
697 Posts
I'm hoping that Daniel and the multitude of other opinions regarding the High Power fabric are right. I like the dimensions and look of the Model B housing. I think the Model C with its bigger roller just is too big/heavy for my tastes. Of course, your talking about someone who is really on a tight budget and therefore biased toward the Model B.

My current Model B definitely has developed plenty of waves with the Video Spectra surface -- and all this within a year of pretty light pulldown/retraction cycling (I leave my screen down most of the time). I'm getting it replaced (hopefully) under warranty with another Model B with the High Power fabric. I hear this fabric may be less prone to developing waves in the first place, and any waves that do develop are suppressed in the projected image because of the fabric's retroreflective properties.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys! I think I'll go with the model C, I like the idea of a sturdier mechanism, larger case (less screen flex when rolled) and without presets, may be easier to adjust for 2.35 I'll use a HTPC and Zoom Player so I can keep a constant height. Anyone knows what a Model C 52 x 92 hi-power weighs in at?

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
It's right at 60lbs. One thing I've noticed about the Model C, is that if you buy a 1.78 ratio screen, raising the screen up one stop position puts the black borders right on the bottom of a projected 2.35 movie. So you get black masking on bottom, left, and right. At least this happens to be true for my particular screen.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great guys, thanks for the info. I've e-mailed da-lite for samples of the hi-power and video spectra, but from what I've read, and my setup not needing much off-axis gain, I'll probably go the hi-power route.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.