AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan on buying a high power screen from da-lite but i can't seem to narrow down the difference between the two. I've been to the da-lite web site and there's not a whole lot there, to work off of. any advice on either would be helpful

·
Registered
176 Posts
As I understand, model B has a smaller roller thus more prone to waves. But the casing is smaller and looks more stylis than model C which, in my opinion, looks bulky and industrial. Model B is also lighter than model C.

Even though it is more prone to waves, the Hi Power fabric will hide most if not all of the waves during viewing. I think you shoud consider Model B if they make it in the screen size you want.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
The casing of the Model C is twice heavier and bigger with a larger roller bar inside. It is designed for a heavier-duty use, and provides stiffer support for a wider screen (less roller bending; less waving). The obvious drawback of the Model C for HT use is the more conspicuous casing, which is much more obtrusive compared to the slimmer Model B.

Personally, I chose the Model C over Model B for two reasons: (1) Mine is 10' wide, and I thought roller bending would be a real issue; even a very slight bend would cause fabric waving; (2) My ceiling is 10' high. So if I mount the screen directly on the ceiling, it will be mostly out of sight anyway, when retracted. The white case will also help blending itself with the white ceiling.

For the actual weights/dimensions, you can download PDF documents at Da-Lite's site.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I went for the 92"x52" model B w/CSR. This is the largest 16x9 screen they make in model B.

It does not have any wrinkles which bother me (I bought it in Jan), and I am hoping that the CSR feature will help prevent stretching and wrinkles. With small kids, I was afraid that if they accidentally let it go, it might permanently damage the screen. CSR is also fun to show your friends!

·
Banned
6,051 Posts
If you were to go with any material except Highpower, I would recommend the Model C. As everyone previously mentioned, it has a bigger roller which helps prevent wrinkles and waves. If you want the Highpower, then the Model B can be a way to go with less chance of any problems. However, please remember that dalite made the Model B for non home theater venues, so things can happen even with the Highpower

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
I have the model B and YES you can see the waves. Does it effect your viewing while watching movies? The answer is NO.

FWIW... model B for the money is fine. I like mine allot.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Definitely the Model B will develop waves. Mine has. And it looks terrible anytime a movie shows blue/white sky or any kind of camera panning motion. But I'm hoping that getting the High Power surface will alleviate most of the visible waves.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Why does the Model B have less chance of a problem with High Power? Shouldn't the Model C w/ CSR still be better than the Model B by virtue of it being better built?

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Because... (1) The High Power base fabric is much thicker, so less likely to develop waves. (2) Because of the very nature of retro-reflectivity, the waves just do not show up in projected image.

Yes, like I said, the Model C w/CSR is heavier-duty and better built. But many people do not like its large casing, from an aesthetic point of view.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Hi guys... I too had this same question, about what the difference between B and C were, only I was thinking about getting the HCMW.

So ideally, model C with CSR, should have less wrinkles, yes? and what is the price difference between this and model, and model b w/out csr?

Also, what formats are "video" and "HDTV"... I figure one must be 16:9. My maths aren't so good, or I could probably work this out.

Which format would be more suited for the HS10?

·
Registered
414 Posts
HDTV is the 16:9, Video is 4:3.

·
Banned
6,051 Posts
The Model C will definitely have less problems with all materials including highpower. The issue with highpower is that even if it does wrinkle, you probably wont notice when watching a movie.

The Model C is a better built projector that is meant for ht. The Model B was created for school use

·
Registered
254 Posts
Is there a another CSR or Electric Screen that looks good, not to bulky to go into a family room, that is of better quality then the type B screen. One other question if I may. When choosing a screen, I will have ambient light in the day and dark in the night, is there a mid stream here of is there a screen of choice.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jwtseng
Definitely the Model B will develop waves. Mine has. And it looks terrible anytime a movie shows blue/white sky or any kind of camera panning motion. But I'm hoping that getting the High Power surface will alleviate most of the visible waves.
jwtseng

Sorry to here that.

Do you roll yours up and down all the time?

I see waves,, but just like at the top corners.

Now I do not pull my screen all the way down. Does that maybe not creat the waves that you are seeing that effects your movie viewing?

·
Registered
689 Posts
Would the Model C be as susceptible to waves as the Model B?

·
Registered
697 Posts
Shift:

I usually leave my Model B down and only roll it up when my wife makes me. :p And I've always taken great care to not let it retract too fast when I do roll it up. So through fairly light use over the last 9 months or so, I've got pretty extensive waves across the whole screen...sort of in a "V" pattern from the top of the screen to the bottom.

Jonny5nz:

The Model C has a bigger roller than the Model B. Assuming the same screen dimension, a screen would be wrapped fewer times around the roller of a Model C mechanism. This lessens the chance for another phenomenon of screens called "ripples". These are horizontal "impressions" at regular intervals caused by the wrapping of the screen around its roller. Because the Model B has a smaller roller, there would be more ripples (less space between each ripple).

I have seen ripples on close examination of my screen, but they are unnoticeable on a projected image. The waves are definitely a problem, though.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Have a simple question...

When I retract my Model C w/CSR (8'x10'), it goes up pretty fast until the last 1-2', then slows down considerably and nicely close. Is this normal behavior of the CSR? I had the impression that it should go up slowly from right after you pull and release.

Yes, it is very easy to retract indeed.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by sushi

When I retract my Model C w/CSR (8'x10'), it goes up pretty fast until the last 1-2', then slows down considerably and nicely close. Is this normal behavior of the CSR? I had the impression that it should go up slowly from right after you pull and release.

After searching the web re: the CSR, it appears that this fast retraction until near the end where it slows, is indeed normal...

·
Registered
414 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by sushi

Mine is very slow the whole way. Perhaps it is how I have mine adjusted (an adjustment is on one end). I did not play with mine, it is as it was when it arrived.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Quote:
Mine is very slow the whole way. Perhaps it is how I have mine adjusted (an adjustment is on one end). I did not play with mine, it is as it was when it arrived.
Ah... Thanks for the info! See, I did not even read the manual! :rolleyes:

[added in edit] Hmm... I don't think I see any "adjuster" on my Model C w/CSR at easily visible places. Is it located inside the casing? Or is it a Model B-specific feature?

[update] Judging from the "parts list" PDF files available at the Da-Lite web site, it indeed looks like the CSR speed adjustment is accessible from outside only in Model B but not in Model C.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.