AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently ordered the Da-Lite Model C w/CSR, with 8'x10' High Power fabric. My custom-masked screen should ship early next week (can't wait!).

Anyway, I have a question for you guys if you could help...

I want to mount the screen directly on the ceiling, parallel to the front wall at 4"-5" distance from the wall. Since the screen weighs over 60LB, I much prefer to secure it to the ceiling beams that runs perpendicular to the front wall and thus to the screen (the ceiling itself is of usual drywall materials). I cannot mount it on the front wall due to many reasons. I also wish to avoid hanging the screen with wires/chains -- I prefer to have it solidly mounted on the ceiling.

So, according to the spec, the distance between the Screen's hanger eyes is 121 3/4". However, since the beams are placed every 16", the closest distance between the beam centers would be either 112" or 128". I am currently thinking about securing on the beams two 1-foot pieces of 2x4 lumber, parallel to the front wall, using L-shape steal joints. Then I can directly mount the screen onto (and in front of) these pieces of lumber, using woodscrews through the hanger eyes.

Does this sound reasonable to you guys? Does anybody have any alternative suggestions?

Thanks! :D

[edit - clarified some points]

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
I would use "I" bolts into the outside joists. Then use heavy chain to the model C. That's what I did. The zero is the eye bolt the equal sign is the modle c.

0-----------0

\\/............. \\/

==========

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, HeyNow, but as I said above, if at all possible I want to solidly mount the screen on the ceiling, rather than using a chain...

·
Registered
474 Posts
Hi Sushi,

What I would consider doing is building a casing for it, with a 2 by 6 for the backbone, which would be fixed to the ceiling with countersunk lag bolts every 16". The screen casing can then be attached directly to the 2 by 6 anywhere on the beam.

·
Registered
474 Posts
No problem, just post pics when you're done. :)

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
sushi

No screws. Please use anchor bolts that can hold that kind of weight. I just put mine Da-Lite screen up and its about 8" away from the wall.

What you might want to do also since the beams are 16" away from each other is to run 1 long piece of 2x4 and set it across the beams to where you will put the screen directly below the wood (2x4) and then get some U hooks and screw them into the 2x4 and then use the hangers on the screen to install it.

To hide the 2x4..... make a nice curtin or something like that. It will come out nice.

This is just a way to do it,, but there are differnt options,,, but I think this would be the easiest.

Good Luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.