AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently have a Da Lite Model C with CSR 92" diagonal hi contrast matte white with a AE700 projector. I find the picture quality already very good considering my room is not 100% dark.

I would like to know if upgrading to a Carada 92" fixed screen with their Brilliant white screen be a major and worthwhile upgrade over my exisitng da lite model c ?

Has anyone also hanged their Carada screen ? if fixing it to the wall aint possible ?

Tks for the inputs.

Ferdinand

·
Registered
916 Posts
I had a Dalite model b matt white screen before my Carada BW screen.

My Carada is much brighter than my Matte white screen. I originally hung my Dalite screen and put up all my samples on top of it.

Of the three Carada samples, several Stewart samples I had the Carada BW screen seemed most like the Stewart 1.3 and 1.5 gain screens. The Carada Matte white screen was slightly darker, greyer than the Dalite matt white screen.

So to answer you, yes the BW carada is an upgrade if you need the gain. It will punch up your image compared to your greyish screen.

As far as hanging your screen, the frame is very rigid. Not sure how you would hang it though. I would talk to Carada them selves. They are very helpfull.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Pcaracer,

Thanks for the inputs.

Is your home theater room pretty dark or does it have light colored walls ?

My room has light ceiling and walls, maybe before investing a carada, it might be worth looking into painting it with something dark. What you think ?

F.

·
Registered
12,276 Posts
It's going to be different. First off you are going from retractable to fixed. And you are going from a 1.1 gain gray screen to a 1.4 white. Each has their own pros and cons. It really depends on what you are trying to acheive.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferdinand77
Hi Pcaracer,

Thanks for the inputs.

Is your home theater room pretty dark or does it have light colored walls ?

My room has light ceiling and walls, maybe before investing a carada, it might be worth looking into painting it with something dark. What you think ?

F.

Yes, my room is a black hole. I have black ceiling, black GOM fabric upper walls and dark red fabric lower walls. The carpet is also a dark red and my theater chairs are black.

Funny, I tested my screen and samples in my light colored living room and the differance between gray and white screens affecting contrast was dramatic. The gray screens helped contrast quite a bit compared to the white screens. Much better at handeling the cross reflections.

However, when I moved everything up to my black hole of a room, all of the differances between the screens went away completly. The only differances I could tell between them was the gain. The higher gain the screen was the brighter it was and the lower gain screens just looked dimmer but the black levels looked the same as long as they were the same gain. For instance, the firehawk 1.3 gain screen looked almost exactly the same as a white 1.3 gain screen as long as I was in its viewing cone. No improvement in black level in my black hole.

Make sense.

So painting your room dark will help Ansi contrast up to the projectors basic ansi contrast capability. In a light room your projector may need some help by using a gray screen with a narrower viewing cone to take care of the light reflecting back to the screen.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jeff,

Tks for the reply.

In your opinion, is there a big difference between a 1.1 da lite gain and a carada screen giving 1.4 gain. Its a .3 difference but it this very neglible ?

Which Carada do you have, the Precision or the Criterion series ? is there a difference as far as video performance is concern ?

Tks,

Ferdinand

·
Registered
916 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferdinand77
Jeff,

Tks for the reply.

In your opinion, is there a big difference between a 1.1 da lite gain and a carada screen giving 1.4 gain. Its a .3 difference but it this very neglible ?

Which Carada do you have, the Precision or the Criterion series ? is there a difference as far as video performance is concern ?

Tks,

Ferdinand
If you hold the 1.1 next to the 1.4 gain Brilliant white the BW will look a little brighter but with out one to compare to the other in a dark room, both will look equally good.

I would trust the numbers and just figure out what footlambert level you are shooting for. If you are lumen challenged then go for the higher gain screen to get you where you want to go. I can tell you, the BW Carada was quite a bit brighter than my matte white 1.0 gain dalite model b screen. However my carada 1.0 gain sample was dimmer than my dalite matte white pulldown screen.

I have the precision screen. Its the thinner frame screen of the two but it does not make any differance at all in the image. Its only the boarder and both are covered in a velvet type fabric. The other frame is just wider and more decorative. I like my frame very much. I did not opt for the larger frame as my space I allowed for it would not fit a wider frame. It would also not be visable since I would have it mounted on a black velvet wall. It blends right in.

What projector are you getting? How many calibrated lumens is it supposed to have?

Sorry, I saw you have the Ae700. I don't know anything about it. Lumens? Contrast?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the reply Jeff, appreciate it.

Might just order the cheaper precision series. Will ask Carada if there is a way to use it by hanging in on a wall.

The ae700 has 1280 x 720. 1000 ansi lumens and 2:000 contrast ratio.

I also hope that the carada BW can be used with the Infocus 4805 which has 854 x 480 ; 750 ansi and 2:000 contrast ratio.

Regards

F.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.