Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have a Sony HS10 currently projecting on a 92" 16:9 Da-Lite High Contract DaMat screen. Our setup is in a main floor living room with no shortage of ambiant light problems. We have painted the living dark gray with Ralph Lauren River Rock paint, but not it's like a dungeon in there.

Da-Lite has recently has the High Contract Cinemavision with a 1.1 gain available for some time. It's wasn't available when we bought our screen. We have a DaSnap frame, so we can upgrade our screen for a few hundred dollars.

Before sinking that cash though, I'd like to get some feedback and opinions on whether this is a good purchase. Will moving from the 0.8 gain to 1.1 gain make a significant difference in our viewing? Both screens are grey, which I think is the preferred option to enhance the perceived black level.

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
I have a HCCV, never had the type of screen that you have now, but I think that you will fine that the image on the HCCV will have more 'punch' and a higher white level.

So if you like the image you have now but feel the need for a brighter overall picture with more punch;) (more vibrant colors) the HCCV would be a good choice.

·
Registered
414 Posts
If you have some ambient light, a High Power would probably be the best.

·
Premium Member
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wouldn't I be losing some perceived contrast level though if I went back to a white screen, even if it has higher gain? We originally had a regular Da-Mat and exchanged for the HC Da-Mat when it came out. I could tell right away that the grey added a lot to the contrast and color depth.

I had figured the HCCV adding .3 gain while still being grey would provide the best of both worlds. I don't think I can work an exchange this time, but I don't have a problem purchasing just the screen material. We have a Da-Snap frame that we'll just put it in.

·
Banned
6,051 Posts
Although the Hipower is a really good screen, to me at least, it became popular because it was a way to buy a pull down screen without having to worry about waves or wrinkles. If you are going to buy a screen that is tensioned either as a wall screen or as an electric tensioned screen, then I would use the HCCV material as this has both the higher gain and the grey that will help with blacks.

The Highpower is a great subsitute if you want a pulldown and or if their is a huge amount of ambient light in the room.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.