AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Firstly, I don't want to spend $1000+ on a screen.

I have a Da-Lite Model-B manual pull-down screen with the 1.5 gain, video spectra material. Would the Sharp 9000 look like crap on it?

I could call my Da-Lite dealer and get this new screen exchanged for a High Contrast Cinema Vision for about $400 extra. I hear this screen is decent with the Sharp 9000.

Is there a DIY method that suits the Sharp 9000?

I know the Stewart Firehawk or Greyhawk is the best option, but I was quoted $1600 for one! Don't want to spend that much.

Thanks for any input.

P.S. I just got the AE100 and I'm sufficiently disappointed in its HD capabilities(or lack of). That's why I have the Da-Lite Model-B...

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
^

|

|

|

|

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ADebar

Is there a DIY method that suits the Sharp 9000?

Probably the only DIY method that would be better than the HCCV is ScreenGoo paint or alternatively the more interesting torus designs that looks like quite a bit of work or both. This is just guessing from the various posts on the screen forum over time.

Nigel

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
I have a 116" wide Da-Lite Cinema Vision on my Z9000 and it looks great. I have a dedicated room with complete light control, so I still get a bright picture. I'm not sure of the size of screen that you want, but anything smaller than I've got will really look nice.

Ken Rivera

·
Registered
612 Posts
I think your screen choice depends upon the amount of ambient light and the layout of your room. If you have people off axis, any screen with gain will be worse for them than a matte white. I saw the 9000 setup at my local high-end shop (Progressive Audio in Columbus) on a matte white stewart and it looked fantastic even with poor light control.

I also have the video spectra and was very disappointed with its performance with a DLP. I find the texture on the VideoSpectra very distracting and the gain made the image very washed out. As an experiment, I made a DIY screen with plastic "tileboard" purchased from my basement contractor. This material has an extremely smooth texture which I prefer over the video spectra. However, it is a bit shiny and there was just a hint of a hotspot. In my new home theater (moving), I am going to try tileboard painted with Glidden Universal Grey in eggshell. I would recommend you do the same before shelling out a lot of dough.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the replies. i might try to exchange the model-b for the HCCV :)

that's if i do get the 9000 :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.