AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've modified this post b/c I found the answer to my question of what the difference is between these 2 screens.

No, I'm curious of opinions on the Permwall. Has anyone modified this screen? Ie painted the frame from Silver to Black? How obvious are the snaps on the front? Has anyone made a masking for this screen to hide the snaps or help with light spill?

I would love to see some pictures or hear the details. I'm still trying to determine if it is worth spending the money on a screen vs a DIY.

Jeff

·
Banned
6,051 Posts
Entry Level: Draper Cineperm/Dalite Permwall

These both consist of a 1" square tube frame, which is silver color. The material that you choose will come with a 2" black webbing sewn into it on all sides. It also has the snaps built into it. The material attaches to the front of the frame, so the snaps are visible.

Mid Level: Dalite DaSnap/Stewart Screenwall/

These all are bascially the same. They consist of a 1.5" square tube frame that is black. The frame is more heavy duty than the previous screens, so it does work for those who need a self supporting screen. The frame also goes over the material, so all the snaps are covered yielding a nicer looking setup.

You can also add a velvet coating to the frame to help absorb overscanning (Stewart actually now comes standard with this, called Velux).

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Daniel,

Thanks for the info. Has anyone customized their Permwall screen to hide the snaps or have picture of what there screen looks like? Closeups? Just curious how it looks and if I would need to add some additional masking/curtains on the screenwall to aid in the light spill.

Thanks,

Jeff

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
DaSnap has visible snaps, the screen is mounted on the face side. (I have one)

Permwall has hidden snaps, the screen is mounted on the back of the frame.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So the Da-snap screen is inset in the frame?

Are the snaps on the permwall metal (reflective) or covered with material? Do they make masking systems for the Permwall?

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
My apologies for the error. I bought that thing 3+ years ago. I guess the mind does go first.

I noticed on Dalite's site Permwall is not listed anymore.

I have never had an issue with reflection from the snaps. At this point they are now covered by my home-built pneaumatic masking system.

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jim Mc
My apologies for the error. I bought that thing 3+ years ago. I guess the mind does go first.

I noticed on Dalite's site Permwall is not listed anymore.

I have never had an issue with reflection from the snaps. At this point they are now covered by my home-built pneaumatic masking system.
Here is the link from the products page: http://www.dalite.com/products/catal...&product_id=96

I have somewhat custom version of this screen, I had it made without the snaps, the border is on top of the screen and on the back is velcro, this attaches to the aluminum frame that I built and attached the mating velcro to, worked like a charm and 'no snaps'

The only thing that I wished was that the standard Da-Lite border was less like vinyl (nagahyde in Canada) and more like Velux (velvet).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.