AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
1,524 Posts
Oh, no! no! how can Sony discontinue such a fabulous avr that has single-handedly altered the laws of physics by outputing 700w+ out of a 400w power consumption, in addition to doing some DNS analysis :)))?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Milly,

Don't fret, I have 50 spares in my garage!!! Use them to provide Hot water for showers after a real HOT DA4ES listening session and hydraulic pumping for my motorcycle collection.

20 of these 50 have a PTO accessory....very rare.

Alex

'DNA Analysis for less...'

·
Registered
622 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by millwood
Oh, no! no! how can Sony discontinue such a fabulous avr that has single-handedly altered the laws of physics by outputing 700w+ out of a 400w power consumption, in addition to doing some DNS analysis :)))?
The Kenwood vr6070 was tested at 92wx6, but it only has a 300w power consumption number on the back. You care to explain that one?

·
Banned
1,524 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by loopy
The Kenwood vr6070 was tested at 92wx6, but it only has a 300w power consumption number on the back. You care to explain that one?
It must be because of the crest factor add-ons.

:)

BTW, my iPod can output more than 1230w of power, depending on what crest factor I feed it.

·
Registered
244 Posts
millwood,

If you do not have anything to post other than flamebait, then do not post.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
loopy:

Power consumption can be different for speakers with different impedance ratings. So, for speakers rated at 8 ohms versus speakers rated at 4 ohms the consumption will be different.

So, unless the Manufacturer says "MAX" power consumption on the spec sheet then the power consumption spec could mean almost anything thereby coming up with ratings like this.

This is my theory and is only supported by the specs for Adcom amps which list power consumption at different impedance ratings and a MAX power consumption rating. This may be thin evidence - so, take it for what its worth.

Mike

·
Registered
107 Posts
Hey Milly-Man!

The DNA analysis was a shocker....looked in the mirror and saw YOU!!

(are u smiling???!!!???...I am!

Yes the poor old tired, lack of technology, under powered, poorly designed DA4ES has gone the way of the dinosaur!!!

But that don't make it any worse or any better. And for that matter any other electronic AVR are, or will be in the same boat....thats whats great about this stuff, more stuff to throw jabs at....keeps some of us out of trouble! (smile).

On the not so serious side, my DA4Es is doing a superlative job!! I was listening to Lars Earstrand the other night and was smiling alot...

I am not partial to listening to sine waves, life is too short.

I am using a pair of the Dahlquist QX10's, and these mated to the 4ES sound very natural, precise, exact, unmerciful towards 'crap' recordings...they are very bright, and at first seem lacking in the low end, but they aint Mirage M1's....

I like to hear the cymbals, crisp and clear, the swishing of the brushes on the drums....and ya need bright sounding speakers to reproduce this that way...

Have you ever been in a band and hear how awesome and clear it sounds, all this stuff about making it warm and sweet.....and adding colorations to the sound make me smile....I want accuracy and the truth...not warmth and hugs and kisses...

The bass with the 4ES is tight and snappy, very well defined....I have swapped two other amps with the 4ES as a pre-pro and using a studio quality DENON CD Deck with galvo cables directly into a 200w rms per channel amp, ONLY the CD player into the amp, no other cables, interconnects or switching to add coloration etc....a purist at heart...this combo is really great, but honestly their is no that much of a difference to these ears and to many of my fellow sterophiles.....most of us are fooled into thinking we can tell the difference.......we cant! (ouch).

The apparent lack of bass with the 4ES and the Dahlquist was 'fixed' or better yet 'solved' by room placement of the speakers. Not by adding more power, this test was done and the room placement made more of a difference, an audible, noticeable difference, NOT the ususal the mids sound more better and the highs dont roll off so quick....subjective crap.

In the beginning of my personal analysis of the 4ES and these speakers, I used the subwoofer to fill in for the apparent lack of bass....but when I played my old standards....standards with real bass, a real band, live recording etc...I was blown away how BOOMY it was using the sub woofer (used for HT rockin and rolling or how to vibrate the stuff off the shelves). After working with the speaker placement I had absolutely awesome bass....

Then it was time to play with the amps, again no really awesome difference or easily detectable difference in tonal quality etc...man I was hoping for this to be really different, I have a burning desire for a couple of $3K+ monoblocks!!!!, But not now!

When I attended a live concert for the Rippingtons a few years back I had another unique discovery at that time...

With a farily high end setup I use to audition the Rippingtons and was lsot in their Airy, awesome bandwidth recording....things floating all over the place...like a real concert.....maybe not..

When coming home from theconcert I immediately played the same tracks on my $20K system....man was I sadly disapointed, NOT EVEN CLOSE. no matter what wire I used, what amp I had.....just aint gonna happen!.

So whether you use a 4ES or Lexicons and Krells....it can get reallly good at times, awesome illusons, but the real thing is the real thing

So Milly wanna buy a great amp?

Alex

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.