AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my HTPC for a year now playing video and CD quality audio using Jriver software.

I want to move on to download and play 24bit/xxx DSD 2 channel audio for near field listening.

Have Gigabyte Z68 motherboard with on board Realtec ALC889 audio. Just bought a pair of Micca B42X speakers and a small Class T 20 watt/ch amp

I have been searching the net for hours. The more I learn about this stuff the more confused I get.

Do I need, should I get a DAC? If yes, any recommendations?

Not anxious to spend a lot of $$ but do want quality sound.

·
Banned
14,420 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by andysr  /t/1522153/dac-advice-needed-please#post_24471261

I have had my HTPC for a year now playing video and CD quality audio using Jriver software.

I want to move on to download and play 24bit/xxx DSD 2 channel audio for near field listening.

Have Gigabyte Z68 motherboard with on board Realtec ALC889 audio. Just bought a pair of Micca B42X speakers and a small Class T 20 watt/ch amp

I have been searching the net for hours. The more I learn about this stuff the more confused I get.

Do I need, should I get a DAC? If yes, any recommendations?

Not anxious to spend a lot of $$ but do want quality sound.

DAC upgrades are the least cost-effective means for achieving improvements in sound quality.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk  /t/1522153/dac-advice-needed-please#post_24472109

DAC upgrades are the least cost-effective means for achieving improvements in sound quality.
So upgrading my DAC Magic 100 to a Wyred 4 Sound DAC 2 would be a waste of money?

·
Banned
14,420 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurrier Sucks  /t/1522153/dac-advice-needed-please#post_24474227

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk  /t/1522153/dac-advice-needed-please#post_24472109

So upgrading my DAC Magic 100 to a Wyred 4 Sound DAC 2 would be a waste of money?

I don't know about that, but I do know that most people can obtain larger improvements in sound quality by other means.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts