AVS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, i'm looking at this MARANTZ 7005 unit: digitaltrends.com/home-theater/marantz-unveils-pm7005-stereo-amplifier-dac/ .
I plan to use it as a Headphones amp and as a DAC for my PC. I will be using it with Adam A5X monitors + EVE Audio TS108 Subwoofer.

The feature that i really like on it is the tone controls (treble/bass).

Is it a bad taste to get a unit with tone controls and I should instead use the controls on my Sub? Or is it okay?

I have a wide range of music on my PC and love a quick fine-tune of treble/bass for different tracks/albums.

What's your opinion?

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Why would you want something like the 7005 as a headphone amp? No need. You have powered speakers so an amp is unnecessary. Get a dedicated headphone amp.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Another unit that i'm also considering is OPPO HD-1
But i love the tone control feature on MARANTZ PM7005

Can't decide.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Because it also has a built in DAC which I need.
There are bazillions of DAC/headphone amp combos available. Check out http://www.headphone.com for some which are available
(although not all are in stock). At least you can get an idea of what the market looks like.

·
Registered
7,785 Posts
Guys, i'm looking at this MARANTZ 7005 unit: digitaltrends.com/home-theater/marantz-unveils-pm7005-stereo-amplifier-dac/ .
I plan to use it as a Headphones amp and as a DAC for my PC. I will be using it with Adam A5X monitors + EVE Audio TS108 Subwoofer.

The feature that i really like on it is the tone controls (treble/bass).

Is it a bad taste to get a unit with tone controls and I should instead use the controls on my Sub? Or is it okay?

I have a wide range of music on my PC and love a quick fine-tune of treble/bass for different tracks/albums.

What's your opinion?
Great idea, a lot of headphone amps don't have tone controls and as you've seen music tracks do need a little tweaking.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great idea, a lot of headphone amps don't have tone controls and as you've seen music tracks do need a little tweaking.
Ok, but won't the tone controls interfere/conflict with the Subwoofer? Maybe it's a better idea to use the volume control on the Subwoofer itself?

·
Registered
8,822 Posts

What's your opinion?
There are plenty of onboard PC options for EQ and a lot more powerful and flexible than simple bass/treble controls. Then add a DAC/headphone amp.

Reactions: |Tch0rT|

·
Registered
8,822 Posts
By "onboard PC options" you mean software?
Yes. I have EQ in JRiver but there are plug ins for plenty of players such as MPC and Potplayer.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes. I have EQ in JRiver but there are plug ins for plenty of players such as MPC and Potplayer.
Yeah i've seen it. Too complicated for me to move all those EQ settings up/down. I dont even know what each one is responsible for.

Much easier to just turn the hardware knob.

·
Registered
8,822 Posts
Yeah i've seen it. Too complicated for me to move all those EQ settings up/down. I dont even know what each one is responsible for.

Much easier to just turn the hardware knob.
Seriously? It's not hard to do or learn and far, far more capable. And it's typically free.

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
I think I agree with others. I'm confused by your choice of the PM7005 w/ DAC. Nice amp, but you don't really need an amp with powered speakers.

You can buy very nice DACS with Headphone amps for about $500 or so. That's half the cost of the Marantz.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_063UD301S/TEAC-UD-301-Silver.html

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_779DACMPLS/Cambridge-Audio-DacMagic-Plus-Silver.html

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_642HDDAC1/Marantz-HD-DAC1.html

Tone Controls are nice, but if you are playing from a computer, the Computer or the Computer software player will have tone controls. That computer software is essentially your Pre-Amp.

Steve/bluewizard

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I'd rather have something like the Oppo HA-1. GREAT headphone amp and DAC and can be used as a preamp for your powered speakers. The headphone amp on the Marantz is more of an afterthought, while the Oppo was designed from the ground up to be a headphone amp. In the end it's your money, and your call.

·
Registered
7,480 Posts
Tone control knobs are no longer used by most people. Most people use DSP or digital signal processing. Every AV receiver has that feature as does any computer with the addition of some software. Buying an outdated product like a stereo integrated amp is just not a very good option. Reread the posts above. Nobody is recommending you do what you do and everyone is correct.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts