AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

This might seem obvious to most, but I am looking at getting a Marantz 1510 receiver.

I have an audio streamer with optical output and analog output. I don't see a reason to use the analog output, although correct me if I am wrong...

What I was wondering is if I should use my Schiit Modi 3 D/A Converter or should I use the built-in Optical input on the Marantz and bypass the Schiit Modi 3 Dac altogether?

Obviously, if I am using the Schiit Modi 3, it is using the analog outputs into the analog inputs on the Marantz 1510.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
am I basically comparing two different DACs at that point?

I assume the analog inputs on the receiver would not be converting anything since it is analog to analog.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
am I basically comparing two different DACs at that point?

I assume the analog inputs on the receiver would not be converting anything since it is analog to analog.
Its very probable your marantz will convert it to digital again, guaranteed if you use room correction. Some higher end AVR/AVPs can do pure analogue through by using direct/pure direct modes from some analogue inputs.
I havent looked at your AVR but im assuming its likly digitizing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
But even if yours is doing an ADC/DAC conversion that doesnt mean you wont be able to tell the difference, you might.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Place your Marantz in Pure Direct mode for the input your Schiit is using, then the Marantz won't be doing any conversion. You'll probably have to select an unused HDMI output, otherwise you'll need your tv on to get sound.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Place your Marantz in Pure Direct mode for the input your Schiit is using, then the Marantz won't be doing any conversion. You'll probably have to select an unused HDMI output, otherwise you'll need your tv on to get sound.
That doesnt guarantee its analogue all the way, even the Marantz av8805 only do analogue from the 7.1 input and the XLR input, the other analogue inputs go through digitization.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok, so if it is then making it digital again, it's prob best to limit the sound chain and skip the Schitt altogether and just use the optical input on the Marantz receiver.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
ok, so if it is then making it digital again, it's prob best to limit the sound chain and skip the Schitt altogether and just use the optical input on the Marantz receiver.
Try both they may not sound the same.

·
Registered
640 Posts
That doesnt guarantee its analogue all the way, even the Marantz av8805 only do analogue from the 7.1 input and the XLR input, the other analogue inputs go through digitization.

I hope this helps as this is what Marantz told me when I asked about Direct and Pure Direct, regardless of current model number:
"Direct and Pure Direct modes completely bypass all DSP (Digital Signal Processor) processing giving you a 'direct' signal from the source. With that said, both modes still allow for bass management and volume control.Thanks,Marantz NA"

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
I hope this helps as this is what Marantz told me when I asked about Direct and Pure Direct, regardless of current model number:
"Direct and Pure Direct modes completely bypass all DSP (Digital Signal Processor) processing giving you a 'direct' signal from the source. With that said, both modes still allow for bass management and volume control.Thanks,Marantz NA"
Not going through DSP isnt the same as not going through ADC/DAC in the AVR. Bass management isnt analogue.
It actually took months in the av8805 forum thread before the question whether the XLR input on the 8805 was fully analogue or not, most marantz support didnt actually know, they just assumed.

Edit: i do hope it is really analogue though.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Not going through DSP isnt the same as not going through ADC/DAC in the AVR. Bass management isnt analogue.
It actually took months in the av8805 forum thread before the question whether the XLR input on the 8805 was fully analogue or not, most marantz support didnt actually know, they just assumed.

Edit: i do hope it is really analogue though.

My, and friends', subjective listening comparisons concluded that Pure Direct/Direct sound more natural. YMMV

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
My, and friends', subjective listening comparisons concluded that Pure Direct/Direct sound more natural. YMMV
It should, if it does go through another conversion in the AVR its not manipulated like the normal stereo mode is.

I like Pure Direct and Direct too, prefer it over stereo mode usually.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
do they even make a 5.1 DAC or any multichannel DAC? Coming from computer source (MAC).

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
do they even make a 5.1 DAC or any multichannel DAC? Coming from computer source (MAC).
No such thing that I know of, and even if there is such thing, I'd image it comes with a surround processor, 'cuz surround processor and multi-channels DAC go together, I don't see how you are able to use the AVR's surround processor and adding a multi-channel DAC box, if it exists, on top.

Mac can send u stereo or surround, which is it? If you are playing stereo, I say fine, hook up your Schiitt and see how it sounds, but if you are playing multi-channel, I feel you are playing for naught with the Schiitt.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Deleted

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
My wireless streaming device, connected via USB) is ONLY 2 channels. The receiver side of it has a digital output and an analog output.

I have to use HDMI to get a digital output that outputs 5.1+ multichannel

·
Registered
894 Posts
My wireless streaming device (USB) it is ONLY 2 channel. I think I have to use HDMI to get a digital output that outputs 5.1
Yea outside using your network (ethernet/wifi) and usb. HDMI is the only way to get lossless 5.1 (from a laptop anyway)

1 - 20 of 76 Posts