AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to get the parasound 2100 to use in conjuction with a receiver. My source is the Pio BDP-51. Will I be better served to use a DAC in place of a preamp? Just curious what your thoughts are.

·
Registered
258 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2siast /forum/post/18145727

I'm looking to get the parasound 2100 to use in conjuction with a receiver. My source is the Pio BDP-51. Will I be better served to use a DAC in place of a preamp? Just curious what your thoughts are.

Most stand alone dac's do not have volume control on them, so you will most likely still need the Parasound pre-amp. Having a stand-alone DAC has a good chance of improving your sound quality, even when used with the Parasound pre-amp you mentioned.

If the DAC you want has volume control, then you would not need an external pre-amp unless you wanted the additional source inputs.

Source --> DAC --> Pre-amp --> Amplifier --> Speaker

·
Registered
11,144 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2siast /forum/post/18146160

I'll be using the Pioneer VSX-23 as a pre-pro. Amps are MCintosh MC-2105. Can't I go source -->DAC-->receiver-->amp-->speaker?

I'm not sure I follow your original line of thinking. Unless I'm missing something, why would you want to put yet another pre-amp in line between the source, dac, pre-pro, and amp?

CD

·
Registered
258 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner /forum/post/18146258

I'm not sure I follow your original line of thinking. Unless I'm missing something, why would you want to put yet another pre-amp in line between the source, dac, pre-pro, and amp?

CD

Perhaps he wants to set it up as a 2.1 system with HT bypass.

Pioneer --> Parasound --> Amp --> Speaker

Source --> DAC --> Parasound

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by taoggniklat /forum/post/18146344

Exactly!!

However, I want to know if I can do source--> DAC--> Receiver

·
Registered
258 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2siast /forum/post/18146392

Exactly!!

You certainly can, but just know that many AVR's out there will convert the analog input back into digital, therefore negating the benefits of having the DAC.

It is my recommendation that if you are wanting to get the most out of a DAC, you get the Parasound pre-amp and plug the DAC into that, and bypass the AVR for 2 channel listening.

But either way "will" work.

·
Registered
11,144 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by taoggniklat /forum/post/18146344

I'm not familiar with that particular AVR, but don't most good ones these days offer a "direct" 2-channel circuit to bypass all the HT electronics on-board? That's why I asked why he wouldn't just go source, to dac, to that "direct" input. To me...again, unless I'm missing something here...to buy a 2-channel pre, just to run it into an AVR is crazy; the AVR is just going to process whatever signal comes out of the 2-channel pre anyway.

Like these guys say, if anything...I guess run a 2-channel pre around the AVR; but if it were my money, I'd just get a different AVR...one that would do a nice 2-channel direct...and call it even.

CD

·
Registered
244 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2siast /forum/post/18146392

Exactly!!

Definitely yes.

DAC analog out > RCVR analog in(CD or AUX input).

·
Registered
258 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner /forum/post/18147208

I'm not familiar with that particular AVR, but don't most good ones these days offer a "direct" 2-channel circuit to bypass all the HT electronics on-board? That's why I asked why he wouldn't just go source, to dac, to that "direct" input. To me...again, unless I'm missing something here...to buy a 2-channel pre, just to run it into an AVR is crazy; the AVR is just going to process whatever signal comes out of the 2-channel pre anyway.

Like these guys say, if anything...I guess run a 2-channel pre around the AVR; but if it were my money, I'd just get a different AVR...one that would do a nice 2-channel direct...and call it even.

CD

Just because it says "direct" doesn't mean that the signal does not get converted to digital again. Too often all direct mode means is that it doesn't get eq'd or have other processing done, but it is still in the digital circuit. Just depends on the model. Some of them do an a/d conversion for the analog inputs, some of them don't. If the volume control is done digitally, you know that all the inputs are converted to digital.

If the AVR does not do an a/d conversion and offers a true direct mode (no processing or eq), then yes, you could put the dac in between the source and AVR and have good results in improving your sound.

Perhaps someone with that model AVR can chime in and let the OP know how it works.

Most systems that I have seen and heard typically have the 2 channel dac and pre-amp inserted after the AVR in the signal path for optimum 2 channel listening.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Why do you not just use the HDMI for your HT application and use coax or optical out from the bdp-51 to a DAC to a para 2100 and completely bypass the AVR for 2 ch?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think I'm going to get the 2100 for now. I just let go an Arcam 2 channel pre-amp with HT bypas I was using. The DACs in the pioneer is so well implemented I did not need an external DAC.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
So just use the HDMI to your AVR for HT and the 2 channel analog our from the Pioneer to the 2100 fro 2 ch.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Standalone DACs w/ volume control (some with remote):

Lavry

Benchmark

Peachtree Nova (integrated dac pre)

Eastern Electric

Wavelength

to name a few

DC

·
Registered
4,154 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by taoggniklat /forum/post/18148195

Just because it says "direct" doesn't mean that the signal does not get converted to digital again. Too often all direct mode means is that it doesn't get eq'd or have other processing done, but it is still in the digital circuit. Just depends on the model. Some of them do an a/d conversion for the analog inputs, some of them don't. If the volume control is done digitally, you know that all the inputs are converted to digital.

If the AVR does not do an a/d conversion and offers a true direct mode (no processing or eq), then yes, you could put the dac in between the source and AVR and have good results in improving your sound.

Perhaps someone with that model AVR can chime in and let the OP know how it works.

Most systems that I have seen and heard typically have the 2 channel dac and pre-amp inserted after the AVR in the signal path for optimum 2 channel listening.

I believe my Denon has inputs that bypass the a to d to a conversion that some AVRs will do. (At least that is what I was told at the Denon thread.) There is a 7.1 ext in on the Denons. You can use the FR/FL inputs on the ex in for two channel as opposed to the cd or dvd inputs which do go through a a to d to a conversion.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.