AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
probably unrelated but if regular cd's are 16 bit encoded while hdcd's are 20 bit encoded, what advantage do 20 (and 24) bit DACs bring to non hdcd players?

Assumably the DACs will have nothing to do with decoding?

Also, whats

20 bit dual DAC Advanced SLC (Super Linear Converter)

and

8 times oversampling digital filter

? And how is

20 bit 4-DAC Advanced SLC

superior to

20 bit dual DAC Advanced SLC

Finally for playback which would you theoretically prefer, 20 bit Burr-Brown Dacs (in the CD player) or 24 bit Analog Devices (in the receiver)? Trying to decide between a digital and analog interconnect. Will listen myself...

Thanks, I was given a CD player and thought it was HDCD capable when I saw 20 bit but I guess thats different from being an hdcd decoder?

jb

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've been ABing all night and I agree with no confidence in the fact that I'm actually hearing a difference. The barely perceptable difference I am barely convinced I hear, is a slightly rounder sound using the receiver dacs.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jb33
probably unrelated but if regular cd's are 16 bit encoded while hdcd's are 20 bit encoded, what advantage do 20 (and 24) bit DACs bring to non hdcd players?

Assumably the DACs will have nothing to do with decoding?

Also, whats

20 bit dual DAC Advanced SLC (Super Linear Converter)
I'm not much of a technical guy but since no one answered I'll try (other more technical may correct me). I belive it is a DAC used by sony that presumably enhances the original 16 bit CDs to sound better.

Quote:

and

8 times oversampling digital filter
Try downloading this pdf here . It should help

Quote:

? And how is

20 bit 4-DAC Advanced SLC

superior to

20 bit dual DAC Advanced SLC
Well 4 DACs are better than 2 DACS ... read the pdf, it explains that pretty well.

Quote:

Finally for playback which would you theoretically prefer, 20 bit Burr-Brown Dacs (in the CD player) or 24 bit Analog Devices (in the receiver)? Trying to decide between a digital and analog interconnect. Will listen myself...

Thanks, I was given a CD player and thought it was HDCD capable when I saw 20 bit but I guess thats different from being an hdcd decoder?

jb
Most people will say the receiver but that varies as to what receiver and what cd player. An hdcd decoded is usually a special chip designed just for that. The Classe Omega SACD player for example uses the Pacific Microsonics PMD-200.

Take care:)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.