AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the market for a new $2kish (can go up to $3k if something's worth it) receiver (or possibly dedicated pre-pro if it's worth it) that's excellent with both music & movies, has the latest surround formats, has at least 4 optical digital inputs, has some kind of interpolation (or better) compressed music enahancer (the Creative Audio X-crystalizer is NOT this).

I've been learning about DAC quality. I've heard that Burr-Brown and Wolfson are considered high quality, but that BB-1791

So, I'm curious which receivers and pre-pros in the price range have which DACs and good analog output stage.

A pre-pro only version of the Denon AVR-5308ci (as I think this uses BB-1796 DACs) would be nice at the $3k price point, but no such thing exists, I don't think? Also, the chassis is too large, as I only have 8" of space to fit it in (open on all 4 sides though).

I've read that Carey Audio Cinema 11 (a little above my price range) is very good with analog audio (but only with a high quality analot input) & that their digital processing leaves much to be desired. All my inputs are digital.

Thanks!

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also, what are your thoughts of getting a Yamaha RX-V3900 and buying a ~$1k outboard dedicated DAC for higher quality sources? That's an option, but I would prefer a $2-$3k receiver or pre-pro.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
This brings up a topic I have long wondered about. I don't understand how making a DAC can be so complicated that some manufacturers have put them into a separate box and charged over $1000 for one.

If a DAC can make that big of a difference, how about the many caps, resistors, diodes and transistors in the signal path? Why don't people freak out about all those components too?

·
Banned
2,570 Posts

Quote:
I don't understand how making a DAC can be so complicated that some manufacturers have put them into a separate box and charged over $1000 for one.

Profit, take a look at the benchmark DAC-1, its probably costs $100 to make and they sell it for $1000.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
So many people seem SO convinced some of these DACs make a difference. I am not calling anyone a liar, I just don't understand how it could make such a big difference.

The basics of converting digital to analog should be pretty well understood by now. I guess a better DAC might be able to do better with jitter, but that's not clear to me either. Like so much else in audio, there's little concensus on the importance of jitter off an S/PDIF connection.

·
Registered
30,796 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman /forum/post/15546886

If a DAC can make that big of a difference, how about the many caps, resistors, diodes and transistors in the signal path? Why don't people freak out about all those components too?

Some do.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok - so outboard DACs are definitely not worth it?

Do you have any recevier or pre-pro suggestions? I already have an external amp for the front speakers.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
Hey, I am not saying they are not worth it. I am just thinking over $1000 seems way too much for a DAC. Even if the thing buffers up the signal to reclock it, that should not be a very complex circuit.

I guess there's a few ways to handle the conversion from digital to analog once any jitter reduction is done. Seems they should all be pretty well understood. From what I have looked at, a delta-sigma circuit looks reasonably simple. And if delta-sigma is a bad idea, than SACD should have been a bad idea?

I am no expert, but I see no reason to think a DAC using reasonably high quality parts and buffering (for reclocking) should be more more than $100. I would certainly be interested in hearing any correction to my understanding.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Manufacturers only charge what other are willing to pay...

Misinformation, lack of knowledge and "Vodoo" will take those prices to new (higher) levels.

The more "religious" a subject becomes the more corresponding prices are diconnected from reality or people wouldn't believe in its miracles: "If it doesn't cost a fortune, it can't be any good !"

1 - 11 of 11 Posts