AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to the local stereo store today (Tweeter), and cased out the Sony 4ES and Pioneer 45TX receivers. Let me first say that there are definitely no deals to be had there - they don't take a red cent off of their prices. My real reason for posting though concerns the sales pitch. I asked for prices on the Sony and the Pioneer recievers and the salesman asked why I didn't consider the Denon 3803. I gave him a few reasons, which I don't currently recall and then asked him why he was mentioning the Denon. He said one reason: Burr Brown DACs. He said this alone improved the sound over the others.

Do people on this board concur?

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Burr Brown(now TI) DACs, such as the PCM1704, are generally considered to be one of the best. However, that's not to say that other DACs are bad. Crystal Semiconductors, Analog Devices, AKM, etc all make very competent DACs. Also, the DAC used it just a part of the design, the implemenentation plays a huge part too.

·
Registered
12,257 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Goi
Burr Brown(now TI) DACs, such as the PCM1704, are generally considered to be one of the best. However, that's not to say that other DACs are bad. Crystal Semiconductors, Analog Devices, AKM, etc all make very competent DACs. Also, the DAC used it just a part of the design, the implemenentation plays a huge part too.
Absolutely correct..

The mentioned major brands can all sound good, I would also add Wolfson to that list as well. However there are various grades within in each of those depending upon price. Semiconductors have a very deep price discount structure when purchased in qty so a larger brand is able to get converters D/As, A/Ds as long as their qtys are high. Also the performance specifications have been esclating often due to technical and marketing requirements especially for sampling rate, as most should be @ least 96kHz or even 192 kHz...

However bottom line.. is to still go and listen before putting down the $... :cool:

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
In fact some high end products released today are still using "older" 20-bit DACs rather than the newer 24/96 or 24/192 ones.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.