AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my dad saw a projector at his friend's house and decided its time to get rid of his 15 year old 35 inch Mitsubishi tube and come into the 21st century.

Knowing that I know something about these things, he asked me which projector I could recommend for him.

I did the research on projectors about 6 months ago when I was thinking of getting one, but I finally decided on an RPTV while I'm still living in an apartment. I was looking with the intent of using an HTPC with the projector. For my dad, an HTPC is not an option. He definitely doesn't have the time/patience/knowledge to tweak with it. I'd end up getting too many "what do I do now" phone calls if he went with an HTPC :)

Basically what he wants is something that will display HDTV at 720p/1080i (Time Warner cable HD), a good picture for regular TV/VHS, and something that will look REALLY good for movies.

Using an external scaler should also be a last resort. Basically the less stuff he has to buy, the better.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
for the budget, he would probably start to cringe once the price goes past $3000...but I think $3500 is how much he spent on his TV that he got 15 years ago. If I can convince him something is worth the money he'll be able to spend.

I have been reading on this new Sony that seems to be the big hype around here, but will it be available by Christmas time? He wants me to help him set it up when I'm home for the holidays so I'm assuming he wants to get it soon.

Any other suggestions? I've been looking at the Infocux X1 but it doesn't seem to have component input.

·
Registered
6,339 Posts
There are other options that could be good but I just figured the HS10 might be the best bet wiht its high res.

Another option with a wxga res could be the Epson TW100 if it is the updated version, although its street price is higher than 3500 so that might be axed off the list.

As for lower res projectors I'd say the following should be good:

Panasonic Ae300

Sanyo PLV-Z1

Infocus X1

Problem with the ae300 is that you can't get it here in north america yet.

Problem with the Z1 is that its resolution is not wxga so while HDTV should look good on it, it won't be as good as the HS10 or other higher res PJs.

Problem with the X1 is that it is svga so again, HDTV won't look as good but still should look good.

Then there is the whole issue with dlp rainbows and LCD's increased "screendoor":)

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Beware of the dreaded rainbow affect with dlp's. The chance is slim but if he is susceptable to them he probably won't be able to watch it. LCD is a safer bet. The HS10 will kick the X1's bum in HDTV.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Get the Sony HS10. Nobody ever got fired for buying a Sony,... er ...or was that a Xerox slogan? :) Seriously the combination of Sony features / flexability and ease of use / plug-and-play make that the right choice for any new user (me included),... heck it even comes with a 10 meter cable to plug his stuff in till he figures out where he wants to put it all :D Plus the specs. are darn good and the picture has a lot of WOW value to show his friend...

·
Registered
6,339 Posts
I am with bilty and blitzkreig. I'd go with the Sony HS10 if HDTV was going to be an imporant part of my viewing.

·
Registered
761 Posts
as a PS... if the budget is maybe $3500 you should have the better part of a thousand bucks left over so if you get the HS10 you should be able to go shopping and get a pretty darn good HT-in-a-box sound system that will make his friend fill his Depends :D... just hit Costco and go crazy

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok just got off the phone with him. I guess I wasn't explaining to him exactly why the HDTV will look better on the HS10. I thought it had to do with the fact that HDTV is a 16x9 format and therefore won't look as good on a 4:3 display. I likened it to taking a flat panel monitor with a native resolution of 1024x768 and trying to look at it in 800x600. Anyone else got a good explanation that I can explain to someone in layman's terms?

So he's still deciding. He's really considering whether its worth spending an extra thousand bucks on the Sony. The other problem is we have no clue where to find the HS10...doesn't seem to be available anywhere online.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well he does watch a lot of 4:3 material (cable TV) as well as a lot of VHS. He watches old Indian movies and most of them are either 4:3 DVD or they come on VHS.

How will his 4:3 material look on a 16x9 projector like the HS10?

·
Registered
6,339 Posts
it'll look fine on a 16:9 projector. jsut slap the pj into 4:3 screen mode. bam! black bars on the sides to preserve the correct AR

·
Registered
850 Posts
What does your dad's friend has? Remember that he has an 'expectation' of what an FPTV should look like - make sure you don't come up too short :). Also, make sure he knows of the bulb cost as well (most Joe six-packers can't swallow extra $400 every 3-4 years).

Personally (Disclaimer: I own a Sony 1272 CRT), I prefer going cheap, so an X1 will be better because 2-3 years from now, you dad can spend another $1500, and get something even better than what exists now (and live with 2 PJs).

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
well I'm not too worried about coming up short when comparing his projector to his friend's....his friend bought a Viewsonic PJ500. Obviously he didn't do the research :)

He does know of the bulb cost...and I think thats one of the reasons the X1 is so appealing to him...its got better than 2000 hour lamp life. I think he plans on keeping his tube TV and using the projector more for movies and HDTV when its available. Who knows...after watching one show on the projector he might toss his tube :)

I don't anticipate him spending $1500 in another 2 years...my dad is the type who will keep stuff around FOREVER. Keep in mind his tube TV is a 35 inch Mitsubishi he bought in 1987. Only one service visit in 15 years on that monster. I don't want to have him get something that'll need replacing in 2 years.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by [email protected]

I did the research on projectors about 6 months ago when I was thinking of getting one, but I finally decided on an RPTV while I'm still living in an apartment.
In my opinion, your logic is backwards.

1) RPTVs take up much more space in an apartment than a projector.

2) When you decide to move out of your apartment, a projector is much easier to transport than a big bulky RPTV.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
well the reason I didn't get a projector in the apartment is because the room layout didn't really allow for a very long throw. And I didn't want cabling in the middle of the room to hook up the projector, nor did I have the ability to mount a projector in the ceiling. Besides my RPTV is not that big...it works fine for me.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Sanyo PLV z1- if you are in a tight budget

Sony HS10- if you can stretch the budget a little bit more

Screen: The Da-Lite High Contrast Matte White might work very well with these projectors if you want to increase contrast. But if purity of color is what you want then I would stick with a standard Matte White screen.

James

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.