Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, my basic setup:

Pioneer 53" RPTV HDTV

Toshiba Progressive DVD (older, I think it is the 5109)

I want to upgrade the DVD. I don't believe the Toshiba DVD that I have doesn't have 3:2 pull-down, and it doesn't play SVCD/VCD/MP3, etc. Very nice picture though.

So far, it appears the JVC 500, the Daewoo 9000 or maybe the Phillips 962 might be a good fit. I would like as good or better picture quality, but with the addition of SVCD/VCD/MP3, etc. playable on home burned CD-R/RW, and the many DVD formats.

Any other thoughts would be appreciated, my trigger finger is Itcheee.

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Daewoo 9000N may have quality issues (lots of returns due to DOA, skipping, blue lines, etc). Panny RP56 is discontinued but still avail. for under $200 and is a good prog. player due to Faroudja processing. Does not do coaxial SPDIF nor DVD-A though.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Huey, I have read about the RP56 but it doesn't appear to support as many formats as the JVC/Daewoo. The JVC seems to get good ratings and run anything you can throw at it...so, I am leaning that way it looks like.

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
I have the Daewoo, and I had it hoooked up to my toshiba for some testing. It had pretty good PQ all things considered. IT rivaled my toshiba 6200. Some people do have issues with this unit so just make sure you get a good warranty or at least you can return it in case of a problem.

·
Registered
687 Posts
I've had the Daewoo for 4-5 months now, but the jaggies are driving me batty. In that aspect, it doesn't look much better than my old interlaced Toshiba/ Mits RPTV de-interlacer combo. I'll probably keep it due to its ability to play different regions and defeat macrovision, but right now I'm shopping for a better player (under $200).

I'm torn between the JVC 500 and the RP56 (soon RP62 -- too long to wait for the RP82). Huey, have you seen the JVC in action? From what I've read, the JVC does a better job at film-sourced material, but not as good with video.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I've got to say the picture quality for film-based material on the S500 is excellent...nearly flawless. I haven't tested much video-based material yet, but what I've read so far indicates that it is improved from last year's models somewhat. my only complaint is that there is no way to manual resize letterboxed discs that are incorrectly flagged as regular 4:3, but that's a very small portion of my collection.

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
JVC is very nice on prog. mode for film based material. So is the RP56 which can be had cheaper due to open box and close out pricing.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Thanks for the feedback guys. Earlier today I saw a friend's S65 on a freshly calibrated set and, whereas the deinterlacing was great, I found it a touch soft. It didn't really bother me. How does the S500's "softness" compare to the often mentioned RP56's?
Quote:
my only complaint is that there is no way to manual resize letterboxed discs that are incorrectly flagged as regular 4:3
In these cases, can I assume it will allow me to "expand" the image via my RPTV?

Online price-wise, I currently see the S50x at $160 and the RP56 for $179 (both incl. shipping). You're right though, if I was shopping for a Panny right now, I'd be hitting the brick-and-mortars.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.