AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A buddy of mine swears he was playing with a Daewoo DVD player at a Target in FL today that plays divx.

Says he saw it on the sticker, so he went home, burned a divx5.2 movie to a CD, went back, and it played just fine.

Can anyone verify this?

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Alright, I'm not sure if this is his idea of a cruel joke, but he's insisting it's true. Says he just got back from playing with it.

Here's the updated info:

Apparently, it's a Toshiba SCP-125910-A. It's considered a "digital video player", not a DVD player (?). It comes with a few speakers and sells for $179.99. He said it DOES play Divx 5, and will play fullscreen. Apparently they didn't have any in stock, so he had to order one.

I can't find anything about this online. So.... either my buddy is smoking crack, or this is a test-market item. (He saw it in Tallahassee, FL, BTW.) Anyone seen/heard of one of these? If anyone in Tally reads this, please run down to Target and see if this is true.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK, so I'm talking to myself. I tried a divx disc in this machine [the Toshiba SDV-280 DVD/VCR Combination Player] today, and nothing happened. So, whoever wrote that review is full of it. Or clueless. Or both.

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
AmoebaMan,

there is already a DivX/Xvid/MPEG4 player out and it's called KiSS DP-450, designed and manufactured by a Danish company.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, but no one's seen the KiSS player yet.

My buddy claims to have been playing with this thing at Target, and then bought it (on backorder). Plus, the KiSS player is supposed to be $450 or so. He says he bought this Toshiba one for $180, with some home theater speakers.

I can't find ANY info on this Toshiba unit and I just wanna know if it's true.

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
AmoebaMan,

I've had the KiSS player for a week or so. SRP is somewhere around $450, sure, but I've seen it on sale in Germany for under $300.

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
Tell your buddy that bought ti to get a model # of the backordered item (should be on the receipt I am assuming that was given to him). Then we can research it.

Edit:

Went looking and didn't find any compatible Daewoo, but I did find this:

Neuston Maestro DVX-1201
http://www.neuston.com/news_161002.asp

and

Revoy 3200DX which looks like a re-branded Kiss
http://www.pcwarehouse.be/revoy_3200dx.htm

The most interesting seems to be the Kiss DP-500 which has Ethernet though I don't know why.

Edit 2:

Crap!!! I was just doing research on the Kiss DVD player and found this:

VGA&HDTV video out!!! by Ruiner

If you press "open, clear, 2,7,6" you gain access to an hidden menù that let you select on SCART: YPbPr 480p, 720p, 1080i and VGA 800x600->1600x1200 @50, 60, 75 HZ I tested and it works!!!

This will be very intereting if its true.

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
chap,

it's true. I've been dropping hints about Kiss' scaling abilities on this forum for a while, but no-one took any notice.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Very cool! I didn't even know the KiSS player was out yet. Anyone know when it's coming to the USA?

The ethernet port on the DP-500 is supposedly to let you play music, pics, and video from a computer, across the network. Should just about make this the ultimate rig.

-AmoebaMan

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
KiSS is releasing a new firmware for the DP-450, which will have full Ogg Vorbis support! Yay!

AmoebaMan, no idea of the US release date, but I'm sure you can find some european stores willing to sell you one.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Interesting update on that Toshiba divx player:

Apparently it was a test market item, that's been discontinued. It's NOT a DVD player, only CD-based video (VCD, SVCD, divx, etc...). Weird. But.... apparently Toshiba killed this model to make way for a DVD/divx player. *drool*

I've conned my buddy into taking some pics of it tomorrow, so might have something to post.

Personally, I'm much more interested in the KiSS DP-500 (w/ethernet) now.

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
I recieved an E-mail from Claus Holbæk this morning. I had asked . . . screw it here's the email. . . .

We will start selling the DP-450 from Jan. at www.diwx.com

Best Regards

Claus Holbæk

-----Oprindelig meddelelse-----

Fra: Chapoteau Rishard [mailto:xxx.xxx.net]

Sendt: 15. december 2002 14:08

Til: [email protected]

Emne: Kiss DP-450 and Kiss DP-500 in America?

Are there any places that sell your Kiss products in America? I know that this player isn't region free, but can it play NTSC region 2 such as disks from Japan? Thank you.

Rishard

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
I had a visitor from KiSS some time ago. The guy demonstrated some of the player's nicer features for me. I then told him that there's a definitive market for the player in the USA and suggested they find a way to sell the DP-450 in the USA. Guess they found one, then. :D

·
Registered
554 Posts
What about Windows Video 9? Will that ever make its way to an appliance? Would be nice, because of the surround sound audio, good video compression, etc.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Just looked at the specs and didn't see a VGA connector listed... can anyone tell me ifit will have one when shipped to the states?

Can it me modded to have one?

Thanks,

Sean

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
No idea about Windows Video 9, but I'd be surprised if it ever got included.

jeeplover2, SRP is $450 over here, but I know that it's available for under $300 in Germany.

Nope, it doesn't have a VGA connector, but you can get VGA out of the Scart connector with a special cable. The hidden menu lists several user-selectable resolutions for the Scart-VGA connector.

·
Registered
33 Posts
@pteittinen:

the DP-450 is approx. US$499,- in Germany, however the DP-330 sells at approx. US$300,-

hopefully the new firmware 2.6.0 fixes a lot of the bugs. from my experience scaling doesn't work with all projectors and while the picture quality is good it's nothing special for a US$500,- player.

however the DP-450 has a lot of potential.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.