Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,330 Posts

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Among the el-cheapo plasma screens, I found the Daewoo to hold it's ground pretty well.

But all things being equal, I'd hold out and save up for a nicer plasma. It's kind of like spending $2K on instant gratification that would be better saved up for something better, even if it took longer.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by nuke
Among the el-cheapo plasma screens, I found the Daewoo to hold it's ground pretty well.

But all things being equal, I'd hold out and save up for a nicer plasma. It's kind of like spending $2K on instant gratification that would be better saved up for something better, even if it took longer.
I second that. ;)

·
Registered
183 Posts
copied from my post in another thread.

Hello

I happened to be at Best Buy yesterday and as usual, strolled through the plasma display. While walking through, I was amazed at how much money many of these crappy plasmas are bringing in.

Then all of a sudden, one plasma was sticking out like a sore thumb because the picture was so beautiful. All plasmas were displaying an HD feed.

I looked at the price and it said $2999. Then I looked at the brand and model number and it was the Daewoo DP42SM. I was shocked at the picture quality. It was fabulous! This plasma has great contrast ratio, more along the lines of the 3000:1, not the 1500:1 rating. It had great blacks and good shadow details. The picture quality was unbelievable. While not true HD, this plasma must contain a very powerful scaler.

I happen to be from the front projection camp; I own a Sanyo Z2. So I know what contrast ratio (or lack of) can do for picture. Plus, a good friend of mine owns the most critically acclaimed 50" plasma availabe, the Fujitsu plasmavision. And many friends have HD RPTVs so I have alot to compare this Daewoo with.

The only thing I'd be concerned about is quality. Dunno much about Daewoo quality, although coming from Korea (i.e. LG and Samsung), I can't imagine it be bad. This is the first sub $3000 plasma that I would buy. Almost all of the sub $3000 plasmas suck! This thing rocks!

Too bad Compusa is sold out or isn't honoring that nice price. Whoever got in on that deal got a steal. This plasma is a performer!

Steve

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Well, don't be so fast. I'd say watch it a while and you'll begin to see that it has its drawbacks. Fast complex motion, like running water, smoke, etc, don't render well on the less expensive plasma displays. I found the reds to pushed too hard and subject to noise and loss of detail on the Daewoo as well.

These are things that are generally addressed in the higher-quality tiers.

However, if I were shopping in that price range, I'd jump on $1999 like nobodies business. The Daewoo is a competitor in that price tier.

Quality? I'd buy the service plan on anything in that price area.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.