AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm dying to get this puppy, but the Raleigh CUSA has the WORST in-store setup in TV history, NTSC signals of crappy CUSA adverts and fuzzy music vids. It's a perfect way to talk someone -out- of buying plasma.

However, I did talk the sales staff into hooking up a dvd player (non-progressive, using a bonus VHS-quality DVD...the clue meter read zero.)

I was totally underwhelmed by the picture, dispite my best efforts at tweeking via the remote. Black levels were non-existant: like watching the screen through a fog. And a screen door.

(The projection TVs and the Sony plasma were fed a progressive DVD signal, and looked great. Maybe the margin is higher?)

Is this typical for budget plasmas? The local CC (doesn't carry the Daewoo) had some nice hidef feeds into an Akai and Sampo plasma, but the pioneer really looked sweet (Except the vid cables came out the back, instead of down or ou the side, making a wall-mount impossible. Nice engineering, guys.

Bustbuy does carry the Daewoo, with a DVD of LOTR (advertisement, not the movie,at an unknown resolution) but those Einsteins put it at floor level in an isle, where you can't view it any farther away than 3 feet, on your knees. Still, the picture was decent, but not 2K worth. The video switched scenes so quickly it was impossible to evaluate it's quality. Of course, no one there new how to demo the set properly.

(Again, the projection TVs were fed HiDef Discovery channel. Is there some kind of anti-panel plot?)

I like that the Daewoo is just a monitor: no speakers or tuner, which I'd never use anyway. I've seen some truley nice plasmas, so I've got high hopes. I just can't see dropping $2K CUSA with it's slimey return policy and crappy display area.

Still, 2K is hard to walk away from, and if I could find one in the Raleigh, NC area that's set up (even close-to) correctly, I'd love to see it before the CUSA sale is over. Who knows when we'll see $2K again.

Thanks,

·
Registered
106 Posts
Hey,

I work at the Best Buy in Durham, NC and we have the Daewoo 42" EDTV that I think you are talking about. As far as I know, the sets haven't been calibrated, but it looks pretty nice.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Fry's has the set on sale for $1999, matching CUSA's sale. I think the sale runs through tomorrow (01/29). They had it attached to a progressive DVD player running Antz, which should have looked great. It MUST have been in interlaced mode. as it was putrid looking. I tried to switch to progressive but the DVD player did not respond. After I left I remembered DVD playback must be stopped to switch modes. Doh! My player at home at least tells me on-screen that I need to stop playback. Ignoring the interlacing, I saw a lot of "dancing pixel" artifacts in fields of solid color and the image looked dull despite going through the settings a bit to tweak contrast and brightness. Granted, this wasn't a fair test. Tomorrow I'll stop by Frys again and get it into progressive mdeo and have another look. From the looks of it, there is no internal scaler/deinterlacer.

Bill

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sbrentn, I hope I didn't hurt your feelings, but how can you demo a TV of any kind with it sitting on the floor between isles? If BB would match CUSA's price, I'd make the effort to get it moved to the rear-projection area, and switch to a Discovery Channel HD's feed. I've even get the Extended Warrenty. ;)

I think I'll wait for the next generation Samsung DLP. The PQ is always stunning even though it used 1960's technology (color-wheel and a light bulb like my grandmother used on her Christmas Tree).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.