AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
4,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
 Daewoo PDH42L40 Thought I'd start this thread for those of you who have this display or are thinking of buying one. Available at Sam's Club the unit specs out the same as Gateway's HD plasma but for nearly $1200 less. Question is are these essentially the same units? Owners please post your comments/experiences with this panel.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Maybe this is the best kept secret in plasmadom. good call grizz did not know about the rebadged gateway.Somebody out there has to have one of these.So this display`s native resolution is 1024 ? jj

·
Registered
162 Posts
I eyed this unit a while back @ the club before it went on the site (see my post of then...could hubby be right about Fuji glass on this Daewoo?) The price was $300 more than it is now. This one was really interesting...HD, indeed Fuji/Alis glass (sticker on it), and included wall mount and stand, among other things. Finally, I brought a DVD, and used a p-scan player they had through component. I messed with the settings for quite a while. The regular user menu was quite exhaustive, including many individual r/g/b color and gamma adjustments. We could not get this panel to look as good as the (ED) Woo @ BB. The picture was washed (gray blacks), and most of all the colors seemed inaccurate. I didn't see any signs of wierd PQ quirks like clay faces, or posterization, (I am godawful used to them) but even after resetting the user menu back to default....we just couldn't get the color right, and without the good blacks it lacked the punch. There were 2 other panels fed our DVD, and the colors on those were similar....I'm not saying great, but at least similar. We played enough to walk away from the panel about an hour later saying, "Didn't look as punchy as the ED panel." If anyone alse has the time to mess with one of these set up decently with their own source DVD....Let me know what you think. There's plenty of them around these parts, and the price has dropped significantly. Sam's seems to discount their panels quicker than most. I know nothing, but it seems every time I try a panel that shares the glass of one of the 3 big guys, if they don't have the video processing or electronics to follow....they seem to come up short somewhere....ie.Champion/Electro/this Woo, etc. I'm wondering if the Toshiba's fall short too....or they follow up the good glass with some good guts?

Ann;)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Bought mine in March. Just returned it. Could not get an HD Signal through the DVI Input using a Samsung SIR-TS360 DirecTV HD Receiver. Daewoo's Customer Service SUCKS !!! Kept calling and didn't get a response until I took it back...too bad!!!

Loud Buzzing, Screendoor effect using a progressive scan on a Panasonic CP-72.

E-mail address in the manual is Invalid and you can't even register the damn TV on their website.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.