AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw that CompUSA has a $1000 rebate on the Daewoo P42SM, 42" ED plasma. Makes it pretty cheap, but it may or may not be a good bargain based on the quality of the plasma.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Mario:

This set was a good deal at $2300. Got a cheap Samsung progressive

DVD player, Dishnetwork and my PC via VGA hook up to this and can not

be happier. I will be getting the Optoma H30 (front projector) on top of this for night time movies and this Daewoo for everything else. Friends with Sony WEGAs 30+ direct TV came by have commented that this plasma is better than their SONYs. Compared extremely well to other EDTVs that I have seen at local large and small electronic shops. Among the brightest in my opinion. Throw in taxes and extended warantee and you will have a

great value.

Playing DVD via my PC is excellent. My PC have an Nvidia that allows

1280x720 setting. The PQ is very very good. The biggest problem is its small screen. I am looking forward to comparing it to the front projector.

Try to calibrate mine with Digital and Video Essentials and came back with

almost exactly as the built in movie mode. I read other complaints about

too hot, too cold, what ever? The only problem I ran into was to output

480i from my Samsung progressive via component cable got my colors

all messed up. Switching to 480p (DVD player setting) and the problem is

gone. Never follow up to see why.

Based on the many comments I have seen on these forums, I would not

have bought the Daewoo. However, I am perfectly happy with this plasma after I ignored these comments and check it out for myself. You should do

the same. Read other comments but see it for yourself.

KB

·
Registered
507 Posts
Does this set have a built in tuner? Does it have speakers? Does it come with any sort of stand?

FYP Website shows it as unavailable - may be available at local stores.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I just got back from Compusa and I have to say that the Daewoo looked fantastic. They had it playing a DVD along side other brands, Pioneer, Sony and some others. The Daewoo looked better then the others. About 5 other people standing around said the same thing. I was going to buy the Panny but for $1000 less the DP42SM is VERY tempting.

-Steve

·
Registered
162 Posts
....this panel has a listed contrast ratio of 1500:1 http://www.e-daewoo.com/products/tvs/dp_42sm_detail.asp

on Woo's site. It has been called 3000:1 on other retail sites...maybe leading one to the conclusion that this is "who know who's glass". I have the 4294, have done all the tweaks, viewed the Woo panel extensively...though not in home, and I don't think it's any worse than the 4294. I do not remember it having DVI, though I could be mistaken. And it has been said that Woo's warranty is sub-par, but again on the site I believe I saw 12/12. Just my .02 worth.

Ann

PS I have heard somewhere that the return policy on that special is defective exchange only, no 100% MBG, so be sure you like it fine before you leap.;)

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
There seem to be a >>lot

·
Registered
162 Posts
Hey Rogo,

New price point?;)

Have you auditioned any?

Ann

PS.. Keep getting Dell e-mail coupons, but every one has said excludes plasma and 3rd party LCD.....They're shuttin' me out!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.